Light-O-Rama Forums

Carson Sequence

Guest guest

Hehe... Great thread! :laughing:
Personally, I wouldn't use anyone elses sequences either. That's kind of like cheating to me. I feel like if your going to put on a show, put on a show that you created otherwise, why bother? I was greatful to be able to look at some sequences and happy that the creators were nice enough to allow me to look at thier work.
It was helpful in seeing how things are done but, I wouldn't use it for any other purpose. When my light show starts, I want to have the feeling that wow, I did this.
Would I be so kind as to share my sequences? Probably not. I'm with Tim on this one,
you know, us Tims have to stick together. :laughing: Seriously though, I can see where pouring hours into a single sequence could make one feel a bit selfish about simply giving it away. Flame away!!!! :laughing:

Wow (not wiw), this has become a heated debate!!! There is no right or wrong to this one. It all comes down to personal preference. I myself feel I own my work and wont share it either. As I get better and better I will help but I wont share a sequence. Even the sequence someone just sent me so that I could see if there was a spot that was messing up, I already deleted it because there is no reason for me to have a copy of someone else's work.

itsmejrv wrote:

Wow (not wiw), this has become a heated debate!!!

I'm not sure how this can become a heated depate if your using initials to a song "Wizards In Winter". Is it because some thought it had "of" in it? Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I did at first. But I know better now.

I'll let this rest but will add, I'm sure some people would like to know the correct way of saying something when they are at a mini get-together or someone strolls by and ask, what is that song? You put on a great light show, why go short when explaining it? :]

Just my thoughts, Tom

I've been watching this thread with interest. I've shared "starter" sequences with several hundred people over the last two years. I willingly do this to give people a head start. These are not complete sequences. They just include the timing and basic events. It's up to the individual user to adapt them to their display and "spread" the events in a way that fits their own idea of how the display should look. I've seen several videos from people who used these sequences and every one looks very original. These sequences are designed to help those trying to advance through the learning curve, not just to plug and play. It makes me feel great to know I have helped some to jump into computerized displays and put smiles on faces all over the world.

With that said, I don't share my complete sequences. I am very picky with my synchronization and spend countless hours preparing them. Like others have said, I consider these my own. I don't include "starters" of every sequence I do. I need to have a few that are unique.

My goal is to give people a head start. If they use the "starters" like they are intended the user will learn a lot in the process and soon be completely ont their own. I've heard back from several who now feel very confident in creating fantastic sequences from scratch. This makes it all worth it!

2004 was my first year with LOR and I used one of Marty's sequences to get me started, and managed to get one put together on my own. Marty's really provided a good learning tool and illustrated some great techniques -- and clearly using his timing on my house was totally different than what he had in Utah (in case anyone wanted to compare).

That was enough training so that in 2005 I was able to put together a dozen songs on my own with very respectable results.

I have shared my sequences with a few people -- but only on a PM basis. Not a "y'all can download everything at www.takethis.com" kind of arrangement.

LOR is complicated for the non techno-savvy, and I think we can provide a lot of coaching and encouragement by sharing. But at some point it just becomes plagiarism in my mind.

Although I really like TSO (and had never heard of them before LOR), I've really had my fill of Wizards ... you won't be seeing that one here in 2006.

Marty Slack wrote:

My goal is to give people a head start. If they use the "starters" like they are intended the user will learn a lot in the process and soon be completely ont their own. I've heard back from several who now feel very confident in creating fantastic sequences from scratch. This makes it all worth it!

And Marty, your goal has been met (with me). You provided me some starter sequences (along with a few other individuals out there) and now, I'm on my own. All it takes is getting an idea of how it works. How to use different types of effects for this or that. You and the others who share is just enough to get it all started, thats' enough right there!!!

You made it all worth it. Thank you!!! And to the others that shared. Thank you as well!!!

As a whole, we are the talent, we are the magicians, we are the ones to make dreams come true for the ones who enjoy the displays. Those dreams come from young children and up to the age who still enjoy the excellent shows provided.

That's what it's all about...... Because in the end, there is a smile to be met........

Tom

Daniel,

Thanks for starting this topic. As you can see it turned into a very productive series of posts. It has brought me up to the next LOR contest for the year. I think a contest of the best "Wizards Sequence" with a pre-determined set of channels and and an animation window that has been pre-created. This could be judged by LOR users who could download the sequences and play the entries with the sequence editor. Not sure of the details yet but I think this has some potential. There may be so many entries that it becomes impractical for everyone to be a judge. You have me thinking.

To build on your point Dan, maybe you could make up a "Rookie of the Year" award for first year LOR users.....or you could organize your contests based on number of channels so as to allow "little" guys like myself (less than 32 channels in the first year) to compete while the "Big Boys" (gender neurtral;) of course) can still go head-to-head with their crazy cool displays.

Flight 1 (aka "Newbies-R-Us") 32 channels or less

Flight 2 (aka "Look OUT, Getting Bigger Each Year") 32-64 channels

Flight 3 (aka "Mammoth Light Technicians") 65+ channels

It could make it fun for us 1st time users who feel overwhelmed with all of these 200+, 100K lights folks :D

Um... I just wanted a few opinions! LOL Yes I like it when everyone sayes their opinion.

--Daniel L

LightORama wrote:

Daniel,

Thanks for starting this topic. As you can see it turned into a very productive series of posts. It has brought me up to the next LOR contest for the year. I think a contest of the best "Wizards Sequence" with a pre-determined set of channels and and an animation window that has been pre-created. This could be judged by LOR users who could download the sequences and play the entries with the sequence editor. Not sure of the details yet but I think this has some potential. There may be so many entries that it becomes impractical for everyone to be a judge. You have me thinking.

Uh, contest? I just said see who comes up with a diffrent way to do lights to the song instead of doing the same right left right left spread out(repeat) change color, go faster.

--Daniel L

Well, I have downloaded some of the shared sequences, but I will not use any of them. I have 8 songs that I have done, and I did them before I downloaded anything. I wanted mine to be mine, timed out the way I hear it. Some of the ones I have downloaded are the same song I am using, but the lighting is completely different. I have the TSO CDs, but I won't use Wizards since it is so well known now. I like to go for the lesser known songs. I basically download the sequences to see how they look and compare my skills to those here that invest the time to time out the sequence. The whole point of being here to me is to share ideas and make Christmas brighter. I have learned much in the short time I have been chatting here. For that I am thankful. I also am not sure I could handle the criticism of my sequences, so I don't put them up to share just yet. :]

mcnamara9 wrote:

To build on your point Dan, maybe you could make up a "Rookie of the Year" award for first year LOR users.....

Not to sound conceited or anything ...

But didn't someone give that award to me this year?

Daniel wrote:

Uh, contest? I just said see who comes up with a diffrent way to do lights to the song instead of doing the same right left right left spread out(repeat) change color, go faster.
--Daniel L

Since most yard layouts are spread out left to right or right ot left (and yards are usually wider than houses are tall). When connecting lights, usually the plug is at the bottom of trees, bushes, mini-trees, blowmolds and any other yard decor. Then there might be windows decorated up, eves and then roof tops. Going up and down (to me) doesn't provide near the opportunity as going side to side (but there is still a little room for dazzling I guess). I know, the sequencing can even bounce around instead of going up or down or side to side, but to me, then you lose some of the rythem to a song (the wave effect so to speak). I might be narrow minded on this but traveling with the beat or rythem to a song, I can't help but go side to side on majority of my sequencing to get the most out of my display.

I like the contest thing by the way :].

Just my thoughts.

Tom

Contest with WIW maybe even a non Christmas display say 4 July American flag with 24 channels or less. You might be surprised and the numer of 7 , 6 and 13 beats in that song. 6 white stripes, 7 red, and 13 total. I only put out for an idea. btw the stars run 5 rows of 6 stars and 4 rows of 5 stars.

glenn

glenn wrote:

Contest with WIW maybe even a non Christmas display say 4 July American flag with 24 channels or less. You might be surprised and the numer of 7 , 6 and 13 beats in that song. 6 white stripes, 7 red, and 13 total. I only put out for an idea. btw the stars run 5 rows of 6 stars and 4 rows of 5 stars.

glenn

Hummmmm, I can see it :smile:. Very good idea Glenn. I like it :].

Tom

Hmmmm... This could be interesting.

LightORama wrote:

Daniel,

G'day all I know this is a thread about weather or not to use Carson's sequence but I was wondering where I can download it from as I would love to see how he did it.

I will probably only have eight channels so his sequence will be too big but I am finding it quite overwelming.

I must say I am amazed at what you guys are doing. Do you just play around till it looks right?

Craig wrote:

I must say I am amazed at what you guys are doing. Do you just play around till it looks right?

Some call it play and some call it work. But pretty much you tweak it until you feel good about it (which is a never ending deal because you always find something else to add or change).

It's almost like a game to me. Filling in each block here and there until the music stops and could take a day or two to finish. And it's hard to stop until you reach the finish line.

Tom

Santas Helper wrote:

Craig wrote:

Some call it play and some call it work. But pretty much you tweak it until you feel good about it (which is a never ending deal because you always find something else to add or change).

It's almost like a game to me. Filling in each block here and there until the music stops and could take a day or two to finish. And it's hard to stop until you reach the finish line.

Tom
A Day or two? I must be really slow then, cause it usually takes me over two weeks to program on song for 32 channels. I just use the play a section feature and keep running through it until I thin I have everything covered musically. I can see a difference in the first one I programmed and the last one though. I have gotten more creative with the songs and the effects look better.