Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitter not going far

aesl1982

In my opinion, the while house transmitter is the only thing that the fine people at LOR sell that I wouldn't recommend.  My first year, I too bought the WHT and ended up having to install it in an enclosure halfway down my driveway just so people could get a signal.  The Ramsey I bought the following year and ever since has worked great for me anyway.

if you have a Ramsey FM25 OR a FM30,  the output power is adjustable.  Look in the users manual.  there is a Pot labeled R25 on the

board. turn it fully clockwise, this will max out the output to 25mW.  You should easily be able to tramsmit 500 feet with it in this position.

It could be possible that the output Transistor (the surface mounted component on the back of the board) could be blown, but

if it was, you would only get a foot or so of distance.  If it is blown, ramsey will sell you a new one.  it's kind of small, but with

a steady hand, you can replace it.

Tim

It may be a little overkill, but here's the antenna I built for my EDM transmitter:

IMG_1694_small.jpg

I had a different antenna inside the garage, but the metal garage door and metal roof kept the signal from getting to the street where it was needed. The one problem with the current antenna is that it also sends the signal toward the back of the house, where it isn't needed, and can be picked up on the next street, but it's not a big deal.

The range was actually a bit too far when I was using 104.1, but since we changed our frequency to 92.9, the range is about right, where you can start picking up the signal in your car at about the same time you can see the lights. That's probably because I cut the antenna to be resonant at the higher frequency.

This antenna is structurally very simple, with a single vertical component and 4 sloped radials. The reason the radials are sloped is to make it a cross between a vertical ground plane and an vertical dipole, which causes the impedance to be about the same as the 50 feet of coax that connects it to the transmitter. Yes, there is loss in the coax, but the goal is not to get the most power out, but to get just enough. It's constructed with brass rods, a SO239 connector, and PVC pipe. It attaches to the roof vent with hot glue, and is painted black to preserve the PVC. It stays up year round. I think it's been about 5 years now.

It amazes me how there are so many different experiences when it comes to the WHT.  For me it works great broadcasting from inside the house with nothing special hooked up to it.  I get at least a block away perfect stereo reception 2 years running.

Went ahead and ordered the czh one. Ramsey be for sale

If that's the 15 watt unit, then you DO have to be careful about the antenna you use. I believe that the instructions are clear about that. The higher power transmitters need to have a well matched antenna to avoid damage. The lower powered transmitters <1 watt aren't as picky about the antenna. However a properly matched antenna for the frequency you are transmitting on will help even a low powered transmitter.

Mike

Remember too that I think we're limited by the FCC to 0.5mw or some small value...mw or w. 

True, but you're really only gonna get busted if someone complains. So, the best thing you can do is make 100% sure that you're broadcasting on a clear frequency. The FCC limit is an effective service range of about 200 ft. That is definitely in the mw category.

Mike

I'm struggling with my whole house transmitter. I got the one lightorama sells but halfway down the driveway it dies and forget about the street. We've got it in the garage where we've got the computer and lightorama controller. But I don't know if we're doing something wrong. Any ideas? We want to be able to put a sign outside and the fm station so that it wont drive the neighbors insane with the show on repeat every half hour (we run it only from 6pm to 10 weekdays and to 11pm on weekends).

I know it is recommended to put your FM Transmitter in the middle of your display so that it will "evenly" spread the signal in all directions, but how easy can we really do this, in reality? Not very. I have mine balanced on my computer/controllers that are mounted to the wall of the garage. Works alright to me. I personally don't want people to hear from too far away and not be able to tell where the music is coming from. I live 2 houses from the main entrance to my neighborhood and you can hear it pretty well as you drive in. I don't mind my transmitter... It's pretty good. The other thing is the frequency you use.

The higher the frequency, the better range and sound quality. Now... you can't broadcast over signals already being used, legally, so... be mindful when adjusting. Just use your car radio to figure out what local station listings are and what ones you can use.

I had a problem with the range of my transmitter also.  It happens to be the same one you are purchasing from amazon.  When I first got the transmitter, I tested it and had very good range - around 500-600 yards on low power.  This was on a channel 101.9.  After I started this seasons show, I was getting interference on that channel.  I retuned to a secondary, 101.3, but the signal was weak and breaking up at the sidewalk.  In the street in front of the house the signal was very weak.  I retuned again to 90.1 and have a great signal for about 200 yards.  More than enough to cover the cul-de-sac.

Like Steven, I made my own external antenna that is in the attic.  I based it on the Ramsey Antenna.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/Tru-Match-FM-Broadcast-Antenna-Kit/dp/B0002OERGC?field_availability=-1&field_browse=6313908011&id=Tru-Match+FM+Broadcast+Antenna+Kit&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice&searchNodeID=6313908011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

I is a very simple vertical Di-Pole inside of the PVC pipe

Here is the assembly Guide:

https://sourcefmtransmitter.com/wp-content/uploads/TM100-manual.pdf

You do not need to use the twin lead wire if you don't have it, plain old 18awg. wire works fine  For the baylun (matching transformer) I used one

from an old TV antenna system.  I spent less than $10 building it.  

With the Ramsey FM25B, I can get 1/2 mile at night at full power (25mw).  

With my Eclipse 4000 500mw at full power it goes 5 miles, (i only tested this once to see).

The key is now that I have a good antenna, I can dial the power output back to cover the display, but get a clear signal.