Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitter not going far

aesl1982

I have a ramsey transmitter. I got it working last night. But it doesn't send signal very far. Two houses down its start sounded like crap. But in driveway it's crystal clear. Any ideas.

Isn't that enough?

You need to stay within a range before it becomes illegal, and why would you need to go more than a few houses away?

Just trying to go to the end of the street. about 7 houses down.

The traffic flows in from that side of street and my tune to sign is pointing that way so they can listen to music and see most lights from down at end of street also

My whole house transmitter went already to main road last year lol. I ditched it thinking the ramsey would go the same but better quality sound

If you mount the antenna higher, it'll possibly reach farther out. I don't know about that transmitter or its antenna. I'm using an EDM with a 2meter whip on it. I get about 2 blocks and that's all I want

If you mount the antenna higher, it'll possibly reach farther out. I don't know about that transmitter or its antenna. I'm using an EDM with a 2meter whip on it. I get about 2 blocks and that's all I want
i have it on a shelf in my garage But the antenna it comes with it like those telescoping boom box antennas. I'm trying to find a "rubber ducky" antenna but no luck locally :(

If you can and if there's a window, put it right up at the window
yah that's probably the issue my cat 5 from the yard feeds to the garage to plug into the computer. I did have the garage door open while running the transmitter lol. Maybe I'll move it closer to the garage door. Or worse case scenario just try to get the cat 5s to the window in front of house and set up there

Well, I was told this would burn out my transmitters final transistors rendering it useless and dead, but found out the jokes on those that told me that.  I'm using a BNC connector rubber ducky antenna that I removed from an old dead radio shack scanner radio.     This being used on a Mobile Black Box Eclipse-4000 transmitter.   When my old original telescoping antenna had a wire break in it, I needed something in a hurry to fix it, so figured this antenna would work being that it covers both AM and FM bands.

When I originally asked about using the scanner antenna and got plenty of "no" answers, that it would burn out the final transistor{s} in the transmitter, now I've been using this "scanner antenna" available at most Radio Shack stores for going over 3 years now.  So no, I didn't listen and used it to see what would happen, nothing that's what!

Transmitter still broadcasts just fine and still sounds perfect and no issues with the final transistors either.

Now by using the scanner antenna I'm using I can mount my transmitter just above my window and the antenna is only about 2-3" from touching the roof.   With that pain in the butt telescoping antenna, I had to mount the transmitter lower down inside the house.

And my range with it is excellent, I live on a small circle and it broadcasts completely around to all the houses on the circle and even outside the circle.  Occasionally I can pick it up from the entrance/exit area of the community I live in.

Since I'm in the back and one side of the area is almost completely clear of any obstructions to one of the main roads, the signal gets out to there for about a 200-300 foot length of the road before it goes staticy again.

Edited by Orville

Yah I found a pair at ace hardware. But didn't work much better. Oh well if they can't here 6 houses down and they don't like it go find another display to watch lol

I've been using a Ramsey FM25B for years.  It's connected to my computer in my basement so it's underground and surrounded by concrete & it's crystal clear for 500' with the telescopic antenna only half way up.  1st year I had it fully extended and you could start picking up a signal a 1/4 mile away so I lowered is some and now signal picks up about 1200' out but is very distorted until within 500'. 

have you thought of maybe just running a longer speaker wire from your computer to your transmitter and setting your transmitter up higher outside under the eve of your house..

I had the opposite problem..

Even with my transmitter on low power it was reaching out to far in one direction( down the mountain toward Boeing, Northrup, NASA etc. so I solved that by putting it on south side of the house with foil behind it to help block the signal from going north down the mountain over the valley so much... 

Edited by Old Sarge

I'm struggling with my whole house transmitter. I got the one lightorama sells but halfway down the driveway it dies and forget about the street. We've got it in the garage where we've got the computer and lightorama controller. But I don't know if we're doing something wrong. Any ideas? We want to be able to put a sign outside and the fm station so that it wont drive the neighbors insane with the show on repeat every half hour (we run it only from 6pm to 10 weekdays and to 11pm on weekends).

Gentleman down the street from me lost his last year on its first use...WHT. I would not recommend it. Personally I use an EDM but they are costly

I found just taking a piece of wire and putting it into the hole where the center pin of the antenna connector goes goes and run it under the garage door and hang it from the carriage light on the face of the garage works awesome