Light-O-Rama Forums

CAT5 cable length

hoby1

I am working on details for running LOR next year and trying to decide where I am putting my hardware. I read the FAQ and it says you can go up to 100 ft with a CAT5 cable from the PC to the first controller. Has anyone gone longer? I have a detached garage and was going to run my PC for the show from there and have my first controller in the front of the house. I'm thinking it's over 100 ft. by the time I go through an existing conduit under the ground to the house.

Another questions, can I use phone line? I have a bunch of that around.

Thanks,

Dan

I use the phone cord to connect all my controllers (other than PC to first controller). No problems in two years doing it that way.

Okay, that's why I was able to run my show over 100' feet. I knew about the limitation but decided to attempt it and had no issues whatsoever. I'm not physically 100 feet away but in order to keep the cable hidden I use a circuitous route that used nearly the entire 100 ft extension.

Jeff Millard wrote:

First, the issue about the 100' limit on the first controller. That limit is placed on the Serial to RS485 adapter. The USB to RS485 adapter is several thousand feet. I would count on the need to use the USB if you want the first run to be over 100'

Jeff

If I understand this right, with eight controllers with 100ft of cat5e between each controller...

I could have the last controller 800ft from my pc (RS485 adapter), is that right?

nathancorson wrote:

100 meters or 330 feet is the max distance a Cat5 cable can be run before you need some sort of repeater to boost the signal

Although this is definately true for true TCP/IP data traffic. LOR does not use TCP/IP. LOR uses RS485. So in the LOR network you could run the distance you need as long as you don't exceed the total for the network which I believe is something like 4000 feet end to end.

The only limiting factor as was stated by Jeff, is using the Serial to RS485 adapter. That distance should be kept to no more than 100 feet as the adapter is powered form the first controller in line.

Chuck