Light-O-Rama Forums

My 2007 Videos are ready

Mike Cole

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

after watching the first of your videos, I continued to view as many of your videos as I could find. Very entertaining, your community must have been thrilled. Really liked your music choices, and I noticed your video quality looks much better in 2007 than 2006 too. (I really failed trying to video mine this year. )

Thanks for sharing your videos!

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I wasnt real happy with the quality, but I guess thats what you get with consumer grade video hardware. The viewing angle was different this year. We, my neighbor and I, climbed up on his roof, set up the tripod, and let it run till we had the show filmed a few times. Then I just cut it up and added the music tracks in Windows Movie Maker. I did notice that the timing was off a little after I dumped it to YouTube. Someone here once said it had to do with the way YouTube compresses the video............Mike

Mike,

Very impressive show!! I have done a sequence to Reflections too however, only 16 channels. Watching your vids makes me want to get many more controllers, so much fun!! Awsome job!!

no, not mega trees, but just 7 strings each tree hung from the tree and staked to the ground. Seemed to work OK. I wanted to be able to animate them so I used 7 channels per tree. ...........Mike

I liked them. I was thinking of trying to do something like that myself someday. I was thinking of making 4 channels per side, and maybe do at least 2-3 strands per channel. I just wasn't sure how I'd hook them onto my gables.

taybrynn wrote:

I just wasn't sure how I'd hook them onto my gables.

I would suggest a pulley or some other means to be able to lower the lights for repair. I liked your term "half tree" because that is exactly what mine is. My tree is on my roof, my set up allows me to lower the tree, worked well for this year, twice we had up to 50 (or more) mile an hour winds during the season so I just let it down during those days so I did not have to worry. BTW... mine was only 4 channels, three colors 1 channel each and the topper, no mega tree by forum standards, but it did spin and it was eye catching.

Not forgetting why we are at this post, I will say it again, nice job with your display and videos Mike, I enjoyed them! emailed them to some friends too.

Thanks again Scott,

As far as how I hung the lights....................if you look at 2006 videos, you will see two large trees in my yard. This is what the lights hang from. I take heavy wire, about like a coathanger, and cut lengths about two feet long. Fold it in half to make it "double duty". Then make a large hook on one end. Simply tape the other end of the wire to the end of the light string. Now I use my "painters pole" (16' telloscopic fiberglass) and reach the hook up to where I want it in the tree top. Then just stake the other end to the ground. I did the samething, kinda, in the 2006 videos, but hung the lights in different spots in the tree to have more of a "leaf tree" look. Also I used just one channel per tree. Hope that helps........................Mike

Mike great videos i am excepting my first 16 Chanel kit this monday, and have been planing for next year every day can't wait to get my kit i was curious how are the jumping rope effects done. is it some kind of rope chasing lights or did you have to use several Chanel's to produce it, i also was curious do you have any pictures of the way your yard looks during the day, wondered how all the wiring looked, i have been spending most of my computer time reading lors forum pages and watching videos, thanks, Dale (getting ready to help light up Christmas for NE. next year)

Dale J wrote:

Mike great videos...(cut)... I was curious how are the jumping rope effects done. is it some kind of rope chasing lights

Dale,

It takes alot of channels and lots of time, and you are going to see alot more of these arches is 2008. Don't forget that mike has 208 channels.

I think this link will tell you alot of what you want to know. This is a "good how to" done by Ken Maxwell.

If you want to see something totally over the top, check this out: http://www.shadrack.com/christmas/

Thanks Scott, the link you posted is great and very helpful, i'm glad i have all year to get this figured out, thanks again, Dale

evana wrote:

mike very nice job...

x2. Very nice job indeed. I've gotten soo many ideas for next year(my first) from all the quality displays here. Great community this is.

Great display, I watched it a time or two then I started finding myself counting the numbers of certain items you had because it worked so well with the music. Well laid out, and organized, keep it up.;)

• The topic was locked