Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 1.5 vs. LOR II Questions

Guest guest

Hi,

The exact timing of LOR II is not certian. If LOR II is offered in April then the controllers will be LOR II compatable only... If we are still selling LOR 1.5 then the controllers will be LOR 1.5 compatable only. None of the controllers will run both LOR II and LOR 1.5, it will be one or the other.

Once a controller is upgraded to LOR II, it will no longer run on LOR 1.5 ... At least that is the plan for now but that may change so that the controllers will handle both protocols.

Dan,

Official Noobie here. I'm planning on buying my LOR hardware in April. Couple of questions regarding LOR 1.5 & LOR II.

1) The forums mention several new boards that will be launching with LOR II. Will these boards be available in April?

2) Is there a comparision of the current boards and the TBA boards anywhere? I'm looking at the CTB-08D & CTB-16D controllers, and wonder if I need to look at one of the newer controllers.

3) I've got the current version of the SW and have played around with it. With LOR II coming with a some nice additions, I wonder if I should wait to sequence until LOR II comes out? I've read that it will be easier to sequence.

4) Will sequences made in 1.5 port over to II, or will they have to be resequenced?

Thanks for bearing with so many questions from all the novices out here! Carson & your product really caused a stir!

Erik

4theolsons wrote:

1) The forums mention several new boards that will be launching with LOR II. Will these boards be available in April?

Yes. Dan has said these will be available in April.
2) Is there a comparision of the current boards and the TBA boards anywhere? I'm looking at the CTB-08D & CTB-16D controllers, and wonder if I need to look at one of the newer controllers.

You can read about the new boards in this thread, or in the LOR Wiki. The new controllers are listed in the Wiki as well. The basics of the controllers will not change. They will have a version of code on them.
3) I've got the current version of the SW and have played around with it. With LOR II coming with a some nice additions, I wonder if I should wait to sequence until LOR II comes out? I've read that it will be easier to sequence.

That's going to be up to you. If it were me, I'd say start sequencing.

4) Will sequences made in 1.5 port over to II, or will they have to be resequenced?

I would be absolutely stunned if existing sequences had to be resequenced.

Don wrote:

I wouldn't go with LOR II if I had to resequence everything. Once per song/music is enough for me.;)

MC-P V2 – A 32 channel replacement for the old 16 channels MC-P… This new Modular Processor is designed with the Hobbyist in mind. It will provide tremendous flexibility in the design and building of module based custom controllers. Included with this release will be a series of new accessory cards: High and Low Power Triac Cards, Low voltage DC card, optically isolated input cards, servo driver, electro-mechanical relay card and more - (Available 3rd quarter)

Note: This is not your standard controller!

BamaFlum wrote:

I question just popped up in my feeble mind:

For us electrically challenged, will any of the new Showtime products handle more power (30A to 40A)?

No definite plans to make the Showtime units 40 Amps.

skipper69 wrote:

so the 32 chanel one will not be on sale in april i was wanting to just get 5 of them on sale

I want to make it clear that the 32 channel controller may not be the least expensive pre channel. It is being designed to allow for flexablity, support a mix of power requirements, handle large numbers of inputs, handle mechanical relays, handle lots of servos, provided buffered e-swtichs, general purpose DIO ....

It will take a number of componets to build a controller... The result is something that is MORE than a light controller.

Don wrote:

4theolsons wrote:

Yes. Dan has said these will be available in April.

You can read about the new boards in this thread, or in the LOR Wiki. The new controllers are listed in the Wiki as well. The basics of the controllers will not change. They will have a version of code on them.

That's going to be up to you. If it were me, I'd say start sequencing.

Thanks Don, I feel like an idiot! I read that whole thread, post by post, over the last few weeks and just didn't soak it up, until I just re-read it. (It must have been all those late night reading sessions, when my brain was asleep!)

Don was right on:: There will be new hardware avialable in April. The trusted and proven CTB16D and CTB08D will remain pretty much as is... The only difference is that the CTB16D will have a slightly larger transformer so it can better power more than one AUX componet. It will be able to power both a MP3 director and a Wireless unit (today it can only handle 1 or you need two 16Ds daisy chained to handle bot....

The new sequence editor will automatically convert 1.5 sequnce files to 2.0... It will also save a copy of the 1.5 version... There is not way to go from 2.0 to 1.5... Many things in 2.0 simply do not exist in 1.5.

LightORama wrote:

Many things in 2.0 simply do not exist in 1.5.
So Dan, for a noobie, would you suggest waiting to sequence until 2.0 comes out? Will the tapping/timing thing really be that much easier? I'm all for an easier way of doing things!

4theolsons wrote:

LightORama wrote:
Many things in 2.0 simply do not exist in 1.5.
So Dan, for a noobie, would you suggest waiting to sequence until 2.0 comes out? Will the tapping/timing thing really be that much easier? I'm all for an easier way of doing things!
2.0 has the same "feel" as 1.5 when it comes to setting events into a sequence. So what the heck does that mean?.... Well, everything that you learn with LOR 1.5 will help you out with 2.0... So I would start now and become as good as possible. Perhaps sequence one or two of your songs and work at getting the effects with the lights that you want. It will set you up so that when 2.0 comes out you will be ahead of the game and will be much quicker when sequencing with 2.0.

Question:

I downloaded the demo version at LOR.com, and my version says that it is Version 1.4.0, copyright 2003.

Where is Version 1.5? Is that the version you get when you buy the "Starter" set? I started sequencing TSO's Christmas Eve Sarajevo this weekend. I'm going to be purchasing a 16 channel controller in April when they go on sale.

I am asking if I'm using an outdated version because I'm reading here that people are using V1.5 and comparing it to the new V2.0.

Also, has anyone attemped to sequence a 16-channel version of TSO's Christmas Eve Sarajevo? If so, I'd love to see your sequence, as I'd hate to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

Paul

Also, what's the difference between the following effects?

Toggle?

Twinkle?

Shimmer?

Here's the effect I'm looking for. I'm going to be putting lights into the branches of the two trees in my front yard (Tree's may be too strong a word. Large twigs are probably more appropriate. They are only 3 years old at this point). In TSO's "Christmas Eve Sarajevo" there are several "Cymbals" sounds. At those sounds, I want the lights to flicker/strobe/blink. Make sense? Which of these effect should I use?

Thanks!

Paul

Paul,

I would use a shimmer for the cymbal (if it is where they are quickly striking it to get a long steady sound out of it)...

There were very few changes and no new Features added to the Sequence Editor between 1.4 and 1.5. Here is the list:

- Fix: Deletion of channels at the end of the channel list now works properly.

- Fix: The event after the end of a loop would sometimes briefly be displayed
in the Sequence Editor even if it was not yet time to continue past the end
of the loop.

- Fix: The Tapper Wizard's "toggle" and "snap to existing events" options,
when used together, now snap the ending time of the event, as well as the
beginning time, to an existing event. This may cause them to operate more
as expected.

- Fix: If the Animation Wizard was sized such that it had a scroll bar, and
"draw" or "erase" was used, it would act as if it were drawing or erasing
to the column and row that would have been selected had the scroll bar been
set to the very top or very left.

BvrBru1 wrote:

Also, what's the difference between the following effects?
Toggle?

Twinkle?

Shimmer?

Thanks!

Paul

For starters, Toggle is not an effect. It will simply change a large group of cells from "on" to "off" or the other way around.

Twinkle is a random on/off. When applied over many channels, each will be on/off at their own setting. Thus, the twinkle.

The shimmer is a very fast on/off. Much faster than you would probably be able to program yourself. (At least that's what I read somewhere. Dan, you wrote it. Something about AC cycles, etc.) Alas, the Shimmer is the same regardless of the number of channels.