Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone with Superstar who can export a SUP to a DMX-ready LMS

iflights
Go to solution Solved by Don,

Sorry, for the late notice.  I have a .SUP file that I need exported to a DMX-Ready LMS file.  I'm thinking I can send you the .SUP file and you could export it and send it back.

I'm running version 3.11 of the sequencing suite and I'd just buy Superstar if they provided license keys for that version, but its too late in the season to upgrade to 4.X, and I'd rather be cautious about that move.

PM me if you would.

Someone helped you steal then.

You can purchase a Superstar license, and it would work with your current version. No need to upgrade to S4, or any version higher than what you already have.

Someone helped you steal then.

You can purchase a Superstar license, and it would work with your current version. No need to upgrade to S4, or any version higher than what you already have.

Not starting an argument or anything, just wondering how he stole something?

• Solution

Not starting an argument or anything, just wondering how he stole something?

Simple. You need a license to export from Superstar. Someone else did it for him, instead of him buying a license.

You can purchase a superstar license and it will work with any version up to your license level shown in your license status. You don't have to upgrade to a newer version. You can run an older version of software after purchasing the SS license.

FYI: In the future if we see these requests, we will handle them the same as if you are asking for audio.  That is also theft and we don't like that around these parts.

Sorry, I am one who normally keeps my mouth shut but please explain to me where anything underhanded went on here.

Are you telling me that no one can share sup files?

Are you also telling me that if I create a sup file and then convert it to lms file I can no longer share that lms file.

Please clarify here what was stolen.

Thanks

Doug

Share SUP file that you created? Sure.  Both of you have licenses and the other person can export his own LMS update your SUP/etc.

Share LMS file that you created even if you used Superstar?  Sure.  Only you have a license, so the person gets the LMS and not your SUP.

Convert a SUP to LMS for someone?  No.  The user needs to buy a license for Superstar.

If we allow this to continue, people can create SUPs with the DEMO version of superstar and have someone make them into LMS files without a license.  Basically the person has used Superstar without paying for it.  That is stealing.  It's the same thing that forced us to encrypt LMS files in demo mode - someone was converting LMS files into files that could run hardware without the person paying for a license.

Right now we are nice and allow Superstar to do everything except export LMS files in Demo.  I guess we need to start encrypting SUPs as well.

If we allow this to continue, people can create SUPs with the DEMO version of superstar and have someone make them into LMS files without a license.  Basically the person has used Superstar without paying for it.  That is stealing.  It's the same thing that forced us to encrypt LMS files in demo mode - someone was converting LMS files into files that could run hardware without the person paying for a license.

I did not  think about it from this perspective.

I assumed, and you know what that does, that what was referenced as stolen was the sup file.

Wasn't aware of the history here.  As I shared, my preference would have been to to purchase as Superstar License, EXCEPT, apparently your licensing does not work retroactively.  It is clearly indicated on the purchase page that I must have version 4.x to use the license.  

I will not be forced into upgrading software outside of my own timeline.  When 4.X releases stop coming out as frequently as they have been, that will signal to me its ready for my trust.

1 - Are you really trying to justify something you now know is wrong, rather than just say 'Oops!  Sorry'? 

2 - You most certainly COULD purchase a SuperStar license and use it with older versions.

3 - Forget about #2 for a minute.  You complain about being forced to upgrade, and make it sound like you don't want to go to S4.  Are you SURE you don't already have an S4 license?  And are you trying to tell me you have NEVER installed an S4 version?  Careful now when answering since I have already checked your license and can see EVERY install.  Can you tell me which one of us came to your house in July and forced you to upgrade? I will be happy to post the date and time you purchased your S3 to S4 PRO upgrade, and the initial install you did of the software shortly after.  

A mistake is a mistake, and perhaps you really DIDN'T realize what you asked someone to do.   I can accept that.   And I certainly can understand about not wanting to being forced to upgrade.  But don't lie and try to justify after the fact.  That doesn't fly.

DevMike, you are going into uncharted territory with your comments, and it would not be the first time you got yourself into problems with wild commentary.  

I have two homes.  One in Atlanta and one in Michigan.  My 4.X programming computer is in Atlanta, and I happen to be in Michigan putting up my show which runs on my 3.11 show computer. The facts are the facts.  The fact is your license page says you must have version 4.X installed to use a Superstar License.  What choices would I have at 8:30am in Michigan on the final set up day given the facts of the matter? 

Unfortunately the fact is that you DO have an S4 license, that you have in fact installed it at least once, and that your argument was that you didn't want to be forced into upgrading to S4.    Your argument ONLY makes sense if you had not purchased S4 in July.  There were legal ways to do what you wanted, (including moving back to S3 once you were done with your LMS conversion with a LEGAL copy of Superstar).  You didn't do them.  

Your choices?  Running out of the store with a loaf of bread without paying because it would take to long and people will be to your house for dinner in 5 minutes is STILL theft.

Please stop trying to justify your actions.  You've done it, you know you are not supposed to do that again.  Move on.  

As I said.  In the future we will treat anyone asking to convert a SuperStar file into an LMS the same as we do with a person who is asking for MP3s.