Light-O-Rama Forums

Oh I was so close

dburg30

Built my 16 channel PC kit, everything powered up, set the ID, life is good.. Got out 16 strings of LEDs, plugged them in, hit all on.. Everything came on... BUT channel 9..

I've probed the pins, and the voltages are the same on 9 and 10 except the 2 'back' legs of the triac. I'm not real up on my electronic devices, where / what would change those? I'm hoping it's a solder that I missed or something, but I guess I'm trying to figure you exactly what those are connected to so I can try to do a little checking without tearing the whole thing apart.

Other then that, great kit, easy to assemble (well, obviously not quite easy enough for me or I'd have 16 instead of 15 channels :)) I do wish it came with a little more of the small solder though, and if that's my only complaint, I'd say that's a pretty good thing..

try adding a bit more load to Channel 9. Triacs need a bit of an amp draw to fire up. Try a string of minis or a single C7 bulb. LED's are so low in amp draw that they might not be enough to make connection.

Brad Bilger wrote:

try adding a bit more load to Channel 9. Triacs need a bit of an amp draw to fire up. Try a string of minis or a single C7 bulb. LED's are so low in amp draw that they might not be enough to make connection.

Great idea, but wasnt it. Everything looked good, so I think I'll pull it apart and just check my solder jobs on the bottom. Really dont think that's it, but I want to make sure.

Success!! It was a solder somewhere.. None of them 'looked' bad, but one obviously wasnt making good contact somewhere... I just added a little heat to all of them starting at the resitor pack, plugged it back in, hooked it up and BAM I got lights on 9!

/happy dance..