Light-O-Rama Forums

curtain strobes

Peter B

Need help,

Does anyone know where in the UK you can get the strobes lights from. (I don't mean the big enclosure units from maplin electronics or disco suppliers) In the states I beleive they are called curtain strobes in 240volt. These are single bulbs that screw in or bayonet fitting.

Someone is in the know.

Cheers, Pete.:D

Attached files 147971=8673-Curtain Strobe.bmp

This is where I ordered mine from the work great... I'm not sure if Daryl ships to the UK but it is well worth a try.

greg

Greg wrote:

This is where I ordered mine from the work great... I'm not sure if Daryl ships to the UK but it is well worth a try.

greg

Hi Greg, where from? can't see a link.

Pete.

Peter B wrote:

Hi All,

Unfortunately http://www.christmaslightshow.com have failed in returning any e-mails that I have sent to them. Obviously don't want any business:X.

Is there another location in the States that someone can recommend, that may ship to the UK.

Thanks.

Pete.
Same goes for me but I sent him a pm over on Planet Christmas and he answered me rite away

Jeff Millard wrote:

You will need to select 240V with the jumpers on the board, and use 9 through 16 at 240V. This will also power the controller's electronics. You can then power the other side at a different voltage, such as 110V. I did this with one board this year. It had 9-16 powered at 110V and 1-8 controlled 12Vac low voltage yard lighting. There is no AC electrical connection between the two sides of the board as long as there are no jumpers in the middle of the screw terminals.

Jeff

Jeff,

Please help me understand. Did you drive 1 - 8 with 12 volts then run individual/multiple 12 volt units per channel? or... Did you drive 1 - 8 with 110 and set the jumpers in some way as to throttle down to 12 volts? or... Did you controll a 12 volt landscape power supply(s) with channels 1 - 8?

Thanks,
Forest

grandad wrote:

Pete
Note, those strobe-balls are not weatherproof!
Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes I noticed that & i'm trying to rack my brains how to waterproof them. When i'm in the City, i'll purchase one & see what I can do. What really annoys me is I have seen the one that I posted in Haringey, Southend High Street on the big industrial signs but, heck I trawled the net for them & can't find them. My best option & price is from the states, but now Planet have shut down the forum site, I can't PM the earlier thred. Would have been good running one controller at 120v.

Really appreciate your help.

Pete.

Peter B wrote:

grandad wrote:
Pete
Note, those strobe-balls are not weatherproof!
Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes I noticed that & i'm trying to rack my brains how to waterproof them. When i'm in the City, i'll purchase one & see what I can do. What really annoys me is I have seen the one that I posted in Haringey, Southend High Street on the big industrial signs but, heck I trawled the net for them & can't find them. My best option & price is from the states, but now Planet have shut down the forum site, I can't PM the earlier thred. Would have been good running one controller at 120v.

Really appreciate your help.

Pete.

Pete,

I would be interested in any progress you make with these strobes, although they are expensive. I believe I have some pictures of the internals of Darryl's strobes which he e-mailed to me last year when I asked if they could be modified to 240v. I'll try to dig them out if you are interested. I seem to remember that Darryl will ship to UK although I didn't pursue it last year.

Martin

I noticed they weren't after I posted this, but I've used a plastic box (like tupperware) and enclosed lights them in those and they will stay dry. I'll look for some more water proof ones for ya as well.