Light-O-Rama Forums

Software download

hoby1

I am a newbie and downloaded the demo version to play with. I am going to purchase the starter kit but was wondering if I can use it on a couple of computers. I have a laptop that I have been using to play with the software but will eventually load on computer dedicated for the lights. I'm saving my sequences on a thumb drive so I don't think it would be a problem to move to the other computer later when it get's close to set up for next year.

Thanks,
Dan

I just bought the starter kit and downloaded the software. The download page said you can load it on up to two computers.

Also, I ordered on-line with a note saying hold the connector and cable (and shipping charges) until I order the controllers during the sale. The next day I got am e-mail confirming the shipping charges were taken off the bill. However, they did say there may be some shipping charges added to the controller shipment to cover the connector and cable.

Hoby, last year I downloaded the demo and practiced and save all my sequences on my laptop. I builted my own pc for lor 1. than purchased my controlers. I started transfering everything over to my pc after I had the lor disk. during November I did some test, and everything was working fine. two days after running my sequences my pc had a burn out. fried the mother board. (moisture)
saving or doing everything on you laptop and saving to thumb drive is the way to go and to get started. Now start sequencing cause times running out.:D

I see that this is the minimum requirements:

400 MHz or faster CPU
Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 or XP
20 MB free disk space
128 MB RAM
One serial port or a USB to serial port adapter (adapter is available from LOR)

Is this just for sequencing? Can I use a slower barebone computer for the show only?

brewer wrote:

I see that this is the minimum requirements:

400 MHz or faster CPU
Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 or XP
20 MB free disk space
128 MB RAM
One serial port or a USB to serial port adapter (adapter is available from LOR)

Is this just for sequencing? Can I use a slower barebone computer for the show only?

The show does take less power but you need to be able to run Windows Media Player (WMP)... If WMP will run then you you can probably run LOR as well. I know of some people that have run shows on 300Mhz machines not sure if anyone has done it on a machine slower than that.

LightORamaDan wrote:

The show does take less power but you need to be able to run Windows Media Player (WMP)... If WMP will run then you you can probably run LOR as well. I know of some people that have run shows on 300Mhz machines not sure if anyone has done it on a machine slower than that.

For the record, I ran 160 channels on a 366mhz, 128MB machine w/ Windows 2000.

Have had no issues the past 3 seasons.

Is the download something that occurs immediately after purchase, or do you just get an email and license key for how to download it later?

I've been trying to decide whether to order the starter kit at work (during daytime hours) or at home (in the evening, LOR probably closed if trouble arises).

I've also wondered if my IBM T40 laptop was fast enough for sequencing ... but that was because the play speed of 1/2 and 1/4 didn't work. It that working now in S2/LOR II ?

I also am a new LOR user in 2008 and will defer my hardware and cable (part of the kit) till my controllers are purchased during the spring sale.

Are there advantages to using a specific interface ... like the serial vs USB vs USB w/boost ?

My new machine (dual core athlon 2800+ w/2GB on XP Pro) does have one serial port on it and also tons of USB ports. I've been thinking I would go with the USB w/boost, so I could run 1 wire to the South side of house (controllers) and 1 wire to the North side of house (controller) and bypass having an interconnect cable across the driveway. Is the boost unit worth the extra $15 ?

I want to buy the software now (in starter kit form) and then upgrade to the Gamma ... and start using it. I've already heard enough cool features to sell me that thats what I want to be using now rather than later.

Thx in advance,

Scott

taybrynn wrote:

Is the download something that occurs immediately after purchase, or do you just get an email and license key for how to download it later?

I was new to 2007, and I purchased the Starter Kit Seperately. When I placed my order, I was sent an email with my order information for Tracking. In that email was a link I could click to check the status of my Order.

On that status page, I was able to click another link to download the Software... I Believe I only had to enter my order number to complete the download....

I run my show on a Very old Machine, and I have had no problems what so ever....A Thinkpad T40 would be MORE that adequate to run you show...

As far as the booster I cannot comment. I have the USB that came with the Starter kit, and it works perfectly.

If I read your post right (Which I probably am not...) Are you thinking of having two USB interconnects? One for the south and one for the north? IF so.. I do not think that will work...Since LOR can use one COMM port to the best of kmy knowledge.

HTH,

Scott

Thanks a lot. That was a very helpful reply.

I'm sure connect it just using the basic USB adaptor is fine ... I've

just been wondering what advantages the booster verions offers

over the basic one. I think its a $10 difference and the booster model

has two jacks instead of just one on it. I wasn't sure what you'd hook

up to the second jack, unless it was another controller?

I've been using the T40 laptop to do my sequencing, but I've been thinking I would use the dual core XP4800+ machine to run the shows from and also do some occasional sequencing from. It sounds like with two machines per license would work for me.

About ready to place my order ... anxious to try that Gamma instead of the Demo. I'm just starting to get dangerous.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the starter package and added a comment in the order to hold off shipping /purchase of any hardware until the spring sale. Just wanted the software for now to get a head start.

The shipping charges were removed once the order was confirmed. I then rcvd an e-mail with a link that lead me to a detailed summary of my order. On the bottom left hand of the page is spot that ask if yo would like to download purchases made with a paypal acct.....enter the primary e-mail address to gain access.Once that is done, right below the section called "your order", a download link will appear.

Hope this hepls, my was flawless. And yes you r charged the shipping initially, but the charges are reversed once they confirm the order

Just and FYI, you do not need to put comments about holding the usb adaptor. They do that automatically.

The booster usb is required for wireless, longer runs, and possible future (interactive) features. For the total amount that one would spend to animate, might as well spend another $10. See the descriptions on the website.

By the way, I have purchased the software ... and its working great. As expected, LOR handled things smoothly and with no issues whatsoever. I'm loving LOR II ... and looking forward to the sale. Are the PC units included in the sale, or are they fixed price all year?

I dont konw about anyone else's specific situation, but I was specifically told by Dan in an e-mail to put in the order comments to hold all hardware at the time of the order and only ship/ downlaod the software for now. This is to take advantage of the spring sale on the hardware. The shipping charges would be added during the sale of the controllers. LOR has now steered me wrong yet....that's the one main reason why I went with LOR........customer support and response.

I must be sense. I purchased the software about a month anf a half ago and did not realize I could get thye starter package and hold off on the adapters. I am going to purchase 32 channels come sale time. Oh well, it is still worth it either way!

JimCanfield wrote:

I must be sense. I purchased the software about a month anf a half ago and did not realize I could get thye starter package and hold off on the adapters. I am going to purchase 32 channels come sale time. Oh well, it is still worth it either way!

When you order the controllers, just put in a comment that you would like to upgrade your previous software purchase to a starter package. Generally they will do the upgrade automatically but it gets missed sometimes and putting in the comment will help.

LightORamaDan wrote:

JimCanfield wrote:

When you order the controllers, just put in a comment that you would like to upgrade your previous software purchase to a starter package. Generally they will do the upgrade automatically but it gets missed sometimes and putting in the comment will help.

You just can't beat the support we get from Light-O-Rama, thanks to Dan and everybody involved.

I am a newbie here ... but I've seen plenty of examples ... almost daily, of why I would want to take my business to LOR vs. a competitor. I personally don't see the smallish savings as worth it, when you consider what you might loose in terms of service and support. I can just say that Dan and his developers are extremely proactive here and its refreshing.

Dan has, IMHO, set the bar for customer service and having customer friendly policys ... like what your reading about in this thread ... because I believe he well knows that these things pay 'long-term' dividends that are often greater than their costs. A happy and loyal customer comes back again and again ... and I see that occuring with LOR products ... for good reason.

I hope to become the next loyal customer this year ... and hope LOR considers their own needs but also the lousy economy for their sale this year. I know its a balancing act. So far I only own the starter kit (software) ... but I have 100% confidence that I have already made the right choice. :D

Thanks Dan,I will do that.

Back on track. I just acquired a laptop to run my show. I already purchased the software and downloaded it on 1 pc, how do I go about downloading it to my laptop?.

To JimC, try burning the downloaded .exe file to a CD and using that to transfer.

To tayburn (and Dan) in regards to sales during the slow economy, maybe the spring/summer sale can be made to coincide with the (hopeful) stimulus package from the government.