Light-O-Rama Forums

Upgrading licence without software upgrade to S4?

6t8dart

My current licence has 4 controllers max, I want to upgrade to the next level. Do I have to upgrade to S4? I really don't want to, my old sequences work, i don't want to risk any comparability issues, I don't have enough time to screw around.

My question is, can I upgrade my licence without having to upgrade my software?

You can upgrade your license level (Basic, Advanced, etc) without installing new software.

When you upgrade your license, your currently installed software will be able to use the features in the upgraded license version you made.

Be sure to use the SAME email address your software is registered to when purchasing the upgrade. 

My current licence has 4 controllers max, I want to upgrade to the next level. Do I have to upgrade to S4? I really don't want to, my old sequences work, i don't want to risk any comparability issues, I don't have enough time to screw around.

My question is, can I upgrade my licence without having to upgrade my software?

While I would agree that not taking on S4 just before show season makes a HUGE amount of sense, if I were you, I would plan on upgrading to whatever version of S4 is current at that time and learning it.  Even if you don't dive into Pixel Editor, there are a bunch of neat additions and changes that have come out in the S4 versions.  Some of which are really great!

S4 has been pretty stable since the 4.1 release.  We really didn't touch a lot of legacy stuff.  Well, we did but it was a lot of back-end stuff that should have immediately shown if it was a problem or not.  I would rate the risk of "S3 functionality in S4" as 'Very Low'.  

There could of course be some issues with the new stuff.  I would rate the risk of "New S4 Functionality" as "Low to Low Moderate".  Beta has flushed out most of the major issues, to the point where I would think like Jim does - the advantages of going to S4 outweigh any of the possible risks.  But then again, I'm a programmer and it's my duty to always tell you UPGRADE! :)