Light-O-Rama Forums

Individual Light functions for LOR/S2

Woodchip

Hi all,

Just as an idea, has anyone recorded the different functions the LOR boards do? The theory being that when people ask what the difference is between twinkle and shimmer they can look at a video and see for themselves.

By that I mean just having a couple of sets of C9's attached to a channel then going through the functions, editing with text below so you know what the function is.

Just an idea that would help us newbies out when we're sequencing, as people keep saying the animation window looks nothing like the actual behaviour.

Cheers,
Craig

Not a bad idea -- should probably be a part of the LOR Wiki...

Really the only hard effect to describe is "shimmer". Twinkle is simply randomly turning on/off the channels that have twinkle specified at a given moment... I tend not to use it much because I've found that it looks to chaotic and I'd rather have a more organized sequenced effect running instead....

-Tim

Hot off the press!

Flash player should load below....

http://christmasadventure.net/videos/movieplayer.swf?movie=http://christmasadventure.net/videos/general_movies/lorfunctions.flv&autoplay=off

If not, use the .wmv video which is a higher quality and shows the shimmer a little better....

http://christmasadventure.net/videos/general_movies/lorfunctions.wmv

I hope you enjoy the movie as much as I had making it!

--Daniel L

That's awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the hard work Daniel. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie that will find that useful. (Cool music and editing as well).

Craig

Aurgh! My webhost is not responding. If you guys hadent posted, how knows when I would have noticed!

Now to fix the problem,

Its kinda a bad problem as now my 6 sites are offline.....

--Daniel L

Tim Fischer wrote:

Now some stranger is going to google "virgin video" and end up with this thread :)

-Tim

Ah Tim,

I guess, I maybe wrong you've been caught like this before:D.

Point taken LOL, I have now edited it out.

Thanks, for the warning;)

Pete.:cool:

Alrighty, I just got off the phone with 1&1 and they said the server that has my account is down, SO no movie for now, possibly tomorrow or whenever its back up, the phone operator said she would email me when they have an uptime est.

This has been the first major downtime I have experienced, so one in 3 years is pretty good!

--Daniel L

Peter I was just being silly :). No point was meant to be taken... ;)

Daniel hope you're back up soon. 1&1 had a glitch with my account the other day as well but they fixed it while I was on the phone with them. I never have issues with them so I hope this is all a coincidence...

I guess, I maybe wrong you've been caught like this before:D.

How do you think I discovered LOR in the first place? :cool: :dude:

-Tim

Great job on video....

One point about twinkle... I've used it at the end of Wizards and WishLizt during the really climatic parts of the sond... Most of my 368 channels, with the strobes in tree turned on- the crowd really loves it and it's easy. Works best with lots of channels- the twinkle is random within the controller, so one channel per controller would be useless, but all of the channels gets pretty effective.... and yes, very chaotic...

Hey Daniel -

Thanks so much for taking the time to create the video... GREAT JOB!

I hate to be such a total dweeb newbie... but I've got to ask. :? Is each one of those lights plugged into a seperate channel? Is that how you are doing all the "chase" effects? If so... is that commonly done? Do people have THAT many channels that they can dedicate a channel to an individual bulb?

Sorry if that is such a totally dumb question... but I'm interested in the "chase" effect and I just received my first 16 channel LOR controller TODAY!!!! I've been playing with the software for about a week and couldn't figure out a way to do the chase effect.

Thanks again for the video!

John

PS. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys quite a bit... thanks for sharing your knowledge.

jrbryant wrote:

I hate to be such a total dweeb newbie... but I've got to ask. :? Is each one of those lights plugged into a seperate channel? Is that how you are doing all the "chase" effects? If so... is that commonly done? Do people have THAT many channels that they can dedicate a channel to an individual bulb?

Sorry if that is such a totally dumb question... but I'm interested in the "chase" effect and I just received my first 16 channel LOR controller TODAY!!!! I've been playing with the software for about a week and couldn't figure out a way to do the chase effect.

1. Yes, each light has its own channel, I took a set of c9s and chopped it up to get the individual lights. Do NOT try this with mini lights! Only c-types.

2. So yes, that is how the chase is done, in the sequence editor, if the make a diagonal line, you will end up with a chase similar to what was in the movie, also if you draw an "X" on the grid you get a chase in and crash-in-the-middle effect, also in the movie.

3. Is it common? YES! I think it is the number one effect used with the Light-O-Rama software. It can be interpreted as a mega-tree spin, mini-tree chase or even lawn grids.

4. Heck no! I would NEVER put only one bulb on a single channel. The only reason I did that, was for the movie and I also wanted a convenient setup to test stuff in the off-season. Generally, you have a "section" on a channel, up to 8 amps on the average controller.

5. Again, same answer as question #2, for a visual, watch the movie again and at 1:15 you can see the sequence editor in action, plus a few seconds latter it will pan out and you can compare the action on the computer with the controller on the floor. The diagonal is the chase.

Hope this helps!

--Daniel L

Yes... it helps out quite a bit... and makes sense.

I saw a video of someone that had single chasing lights on a strand and was wondering how it was done. I'm guessing now that they must have had a string of chasing lights that they triggered via a single channel rather than LOR controlling each light... I'm guessing that would work.

I'm getting SO stoked about all this... can't wait to get my kit put together and get started sequencing.

Thanks again Daniel -

John