Light-O-Rama Forums

What type of Led's work best on LOR

Guest guest

Another question aobut leds and LOR: Is there anything special that you have to do in order for leds to work (I've heard somewhere that you should dim them to 97% is this necessary?) . Will they also perform all of the effects like twinkle and shimmer?

smarts53 wrote:

Another question aobut leds and LOR: Is there anything special that you have to do in order for leds to work (I've heard somewhere that you should dim them to 97% is this necessary?) . Will they also perform all of the effects like twinkle and shimmer?
The 97% deal was an old version of firmware. Current version of firmware do not need that cludge. (The CTB08 does not work well with LEDs... It does need to be dimmed a bit to get them to fire but all other controllers, CTB16D, CTB08D, LO160xW and the LOR800W all work fine with LEDs).

My little great eight (CTB08) got along just fine with the mini light LEDs from Phillips. Fades, shimmers, twinkles, no matter what I asked for, it delivered like a champ. But, with only 8 channels, there was sharing going on. We have 3 trees out front that were the main focus, from them were a few mini trees mirroring the bigger trees. One of the "big" trees was all LED but with the sharing, there was enough of a power draw to make it work. The front fence (all LED) and the roof (all minis) were channel sharing and also worked great.

Becky_Racioppo wrote:

My little great eight (CTB08) got along just fine with the mini light LEDs from Phillips. Fades, shimmers, twinkles, no matter what I asked for, it delivered like a champ. But, with only 8 channels, there was sharing going on. We have 3 trees out front that were the main focus, from them were a few mini trees mirroring the bigger trees. One of the "big" trees was all LED but with the sharing, there was enough of a power draw to make it work. The front fence (all LED) and the roof (all minis) were channel sharing and also worked great.

LEDs work great with any of the controllers when you put some regular lights ( even a single C9) on the same channel. That is most likely why your LEDs worked so well.

• 2 weeks later...

Our CTB16D controllers didn't control our C6 70 LED sets....they just wouldn't turn on. We had the option of adding a resistive load to each string, well over 50, but opted to wire resistors to each channel on the board. This worked best for us.

The LEDs we used were sold under Noma's name.

lindsaylights wrote:

Our CTB16D controllers didn't control our C6 70 LED sets....they just wouldn't turn on. We had the option of adding a resistive load to each string, well over 50, but opted to wire resistors to each channel on the board. This worked best for us.

The LEDs we used were sold under Noma's name.

Noma's C6 LEDs do work with the latest version of the CTB16Ds firmware.

There was an earlier version of firmware on the CTB16D where the 97% or the resistive load was necessary. If anyone has a problem with LEDs with a CTBxxD unit using the current version of firmware, we would like to hear about it.

We just received a sample of C6 LEDS from Novelty Lighting. They have a rectifier on them that makes them brighter and gets rid of the flicker that can be seen in some Christmas LED lights. They have the smoothest fade up/down of any LEDs we have seen.

lindsaylights wrote:

When was the latest Firmware release? If I recall, we were running firmware version 2 this season.

Hi,

The latest version has been around for a while. When did you get your cards or when (if ever) did you update firmware?

LightORama wrote:

Scot Meyers wrote:
Dan Baldwin,

Have you ever had trouble with Holiday Creations forever bright LED's?

I am not sure if I ever tested with them. Perhaps someone here has used them

I purchased 6 cases (72 strings of those) from Paul S of Animated Lighting (after PLUS where he had them on display). Those are the ones that have the individual resistors molded into the sockets of each LED, and just usual normal wires and plug ends.

They work great, with normal fades, etc. I am using the latest LOR firmware.

Greg

lindsaylights wrote:

One of our boards was new in November, and we updated the firmware in the others in December.

I am not sure from the various posts if you did have a problem with the current firmware or not... If you had a problem after you had the November controller or the firmware in December the I need to understand it. If that is the case, do you know of a place where I can get a set of those LEDs to check out.

lindsaylights wrote:

Hi Dan

Within the week I'll try to dig out a controller and an LED set, will hook them up and send you a video of my findings. I can also send you a set....I;ve got lots.

Martin
Much appreciated !