Light-O-Rama Forums

Fort Worth First Year

samstone

We couldn't decide on anything until it was really too late. When we couldn't agree on 32 or 48 channels, we just took 80. We bought from D-Light in the middle of November, and hadn't put the first lights up. Their software had a bnunch of problems, and their guy finally recommended we try LOR software. We started to put it all together in the last week of November, including programming 80 channels and commandeering our neighbor's yard when we ran out of space. I would never recommend any of this to anyone, but we wound up with a pretty decent show, I think, for our first try and no time to work with.

We were up and running by the end of the first week in December. The only real problem (other than no sleep) was that we never could get a sequence to transfer from the computers we programmed with to the computer we used to run them on without incurring a significant amount of timing issues. We tried everything from audio file format to changing disks, and nothing worked. We wound up spending many, many hours re-timing the sequences after we transferred them. I will have to figure this out or I will be selling this stuff before next year. I will not subject my family to the frustration again.

Please take a look at what we came up with, and advice and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the comments. The "tree" was actually designed to be rays eminating from the star. What happened was we got up there on a very, very cold day and decided a tree was more like it because we could do it twice as fast and possibly not die from exposure. It is 22 feet high and attached to a far too heavy steel pole. I have a golfing buddy in the steel business, and he custom designed and made the star for us from scratch. My wife then placed over 800 micro lights on the thing alternating as blue and white in both rays and star, using 4 channels. At the top of the pole where the star sits, our friend welded some hooks to attach the rays to on all sides. I made the mistake of tying one white ray to each alternating blue or red ray, and that was almost impossible to see when they were all lit. So, we separarted the lower 7 feet or so and created the bent rays by bringing them straight down to attach and we let the others come straight on out as originally planned.

Next year, it may all be laying on the ground, including the stupid star (especially if we have to put it up in the same kind of weather as this year).

Thanks again, and I hope this helps.

That song is called "The Caroler's Song", and is sung by a group named Truth. I have known about this song for many years, and it has been my personal favorite since the first time I heard it.

• The topic was locked