Light-O-Rama Forums

Controllers just went off the rails!

ctmcpeak700

I had everything plugged in, in my garage.  3 LOR and 1 E682.  Everything worked fine.  I bring it out front to set everything up and I  can't seem to get the lor controllers to link up to my laptop.  The best part is that, when I unplug my 12v power suuply, all the lights I have connected to the lor controllers, start to blink erratically.

When you unplug some controllers they lose the ID. Plug in the controllers, go to each controller with your laptop and CAT 5 cable and reassign IDs. Hopefully that should get everything back on track.

Hope you didn't mess up and plug the E682 into the LOR RS485 cable

lol. No, i have color coded cat5 for just that reason.  LOR is blue and E682 is yellow.  

I just started going through the setup step-by-step and I don't show "COM & LPT" in my device manager.

Re-installed com ports.  Now I'm able to find 2 controllers (#3 is still awol).  Sequence mostly works but when the lights should be off, they blink randomly.  BTW, these are LED's.

hmmm...ok, unplug the E682, its power supply and comm cable. Deal with the AC controllers only for the moment. HWU, it only finds 2 out of 3 controllers? Is it possible that one of their IDs has changed itself back to "01"? As it was suggested above, connect each one, one at a time then verify each one's ID# in the HWU. Once they are each different and match what your sequencing has planned for them and they all show up, they should be good to go. Next, go to your first sequence and verify that each channel is set to the proper AC controller ID# and Channel#. If its changed or wrong in any way, correct it all then export and save the hardware configuration to a file. Look in the Network Preferences of LOR and insure those ID#'s match your setup for the AC controllers. At this point, the AC controllers should all be there and work.

Next, go back to your sequence and examine the network preferences again for the RGB. Make sure you have the correct IP adddres for the E682. Make sure you have each Universe# correct for each port on the card. Go to the RGB programming in the sequence and verify that you have DMX selected and not a LOR controller ID#, along with the proper Universe# and channel assignments.

You said it all worked in the garage so I'm guessing you've done all this already. Were you using the same computer? If so, what connection changes are different?

The only thing that changed was the location of the equipment. But it looks like I may have found the problem. I don't show any com ports in the device manager on my laptop so apparently it decided (all by itself) to delete those. It may have deleted the driver for the RS-485 adapter as well. I reinstalled the com ports and driver for the adapter. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Just as a note about comm ports in a computer, the only way to lose them is if they are no longer functional. Turning them off in the BIOS or removing a card as in the old days but for a laptop, that's not possible. I suspect you have a hardware issue in your laptop. You might want to check for a BIOS update. You might seriously consider backing up all of your LOR files right now and be prepared to install on another computer.

Looks like you're right. I keep all my sequences on a flash drive already and I have a spare laptop so I'll get it out and blow the dust off and hope for the best. Thanks for all your help.

By the way, do you have videos of your show? I'd like to see them if you do.

I've had issues when I disconnect the LOR USB adapter from the PC and reconnect it. Sometimes it doesn't work or comes up on a different port number. If I reboot the PC and reconnect the adapter all is well.

• Like 1