Light-O-Rama Forums

controller died

Guest guest

Dan, or anyone else I have 11 controllers in 1 location. They are enclosed in large wooden box sitting on my porch in the dry. Everything was working ok. One of the controllers died. I have no red led. I have taken a voltage meter and checked for voltage going in the input side left and right sides of the board. I have voltage. I have checked the fuses for continuity and they are ok. There was no rain or moisture or any to get any of the controllers wet. Any suggestions on what else to check or do I need to send the unit back for repair? Thanks Doug Shields

DanLW wrote:

I'm sure you did, but just to be sure - you removed the fuses from the circuit before checking for continuity, right?

Dumb question, perhaps, but why do you need to do this? presumably nothing else connects the "before the fuse" part of the board with the "after the fuse" part of the board, right?

I'm sure I'm missing something...

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

DanLW wrote:
I'm sure you did, but just to be sure - you removed the fuses from the circuit before checking for continuity, right?

Dumb question, perhaps, but why do you need to do this? presumably nothing else connects the "before the fuse" part of the board with the "after the fuse" part of the board, right?

I'm sure I'm missing something...

-Tim

It's a standard practice to isolate a part when checking for resistance. True the fuse should be an open, but there could be residual voltage on the board stored in capacitors which could give you false readings or damage the ohmmeter.