Light-O-Rama Forums

Replacing Floodlights with LED wash fixtures

randallr

I've got 10 Red and 10 Green floods on the front of house. I've ordered the DMX interface and a few fixtures to begin playing with DMX. One of my goals is to convert the flood light effect to DMX LED wash type fixtures.

I ordered a couple of Chauvet Colorsplash 196 fixtures, but I'm wondering if something like the Colorsplash Jr. with 86 leds would put out enough light.. They're 1/3 to 1/2 the price and could put at least twice as many of them...

I use four of the Colorsplash Jr in my display this year they work great, in the pass year I use MR-16 20w floods the Colorsplash Jr blow away the MR-16 20w floods. now keep in mind the Chauvet Colorsplash 196 fixtures and the Colorsplash Jr are not weather proof at all.
I made my enclosure for the lights and it did keep the light dry. http://www.christmasonchestnutave.com/Project1.html

Awseome idea for enclosure ... been trying to get some ideas....

As far as moving yoke fixtures- there was a post about curving lexan sheets, and another post with cleardomes... Thinking about combining those two ideas...

Here is the enclosure I built for my Chauvet Q-Spot. Since I am in Florida, I needed plenty of cooling. I installed 2 muffin fans (110 cfm each). The brown vent on the end is the exhaust.

Attached files 147638=8659-DSCF0428 (Small).JPG

I ended up using the colorsplash200b (also made enclosures) for my trees - they were bright enough to light up the trees (20 feet tall) even when I had the clear LED lights on (cool effect). One thing to consider is the throw distance and beam angle of your fixtures - and cost savings compared to 1-2 more extra devices to get the "wow". For the house, at least with my dark exterior, it didn't seem like the colorsplash200b was bright enough to get away with just 1 or 2. Although I ended up using the outdoor-rated COLORado3 unit, in my late season testing I could have used 6-8 of the colorsplash200b to get the house bright enough. Again, with the dark exterior though I think I'd need more than perhaps others.

If I were to do it again I would *not* have spent the extra money on the outdoor fixture, the little added expense for building a watertight enclosure would have been worth it compared to the cost of an outdoor rated fixture. And, being LED lights, no worries at all about heat generation. I kinda wish they would have generated a bit of heat to melt the snow that covered the plexiglass of the enclosure, but beggers can't be choosers they say :D

Oh it goes without saying that LED DMX with RGB colormixing is absolutely worth it! So cool to have the wide range of color available.

I'm pretty excited about the newest Chauvet LED DMX fixtures, not only do they appear much brighter in terms of the number and type of LEDs used in the 2008 models, but should bring the prices down on the older ones (hopefully!).

Good luck!

medman2000

• The topic was locked