Light-O-Rama Forums

DIY vs Prebuilt

tcastel880

New to LOR first year using 16 channels and that is no where enough need more
My question is is there a real savings in the end if you build the controlers your self as oppsoed to buying them prebuilt

Thanks for any input

Tommy C
Venice, Fl

Also remember there are basically two levels of DIY. One requires soldering of all of the components, the second just involves the hard wiring of the connections and mounting in the enclosure.

The savings depend on your skill level although from what I've heard, the soldering isn't hard (but I probably won't try it).

Under the support page, you can download the entire assemblt manual to see what's involved.

Also if you are unsure of your soldering ability, LOR has an amazing repair policy!
Quote from thier website
The Light-O-Rama Promise: If you choose a DIY product that requires soldering, we will stand behind you 100%. Almost every problem can be fixed via email or a phone call. If you cannot get your controller to operate we will attempt to repair it absolutely free. If you damage a component we replace it free!. If we cannot determine the problem we will replace the kit for free! In the extremely rare case, that you physically damage the kit beyond repair, our standard warrantee will cover 40% of the replacement cost!
Note: Customer pays shipping for free repairs and free replacement.

While I'm a person with pretty decent soldering abilities, I don't think this kit should be too hard for the novice even. The biggest thing I noticed is it takes time since there are soo many components. Last weekend I took around 2-1/2 hours from start to finish and I went step-by-step checking off every part as I went.

Next kit I assemble I can see taking maybe 2 hours and then the next hopefully 1-1/2 hours or less. If you're completely confident in yourself and the kit, you can probably just place most/all of the components in place and then solder them all... which would probably take no time... maybe an hour or so?

At any rate, given the above mentioned guarantee, why not try it at least once? Just remember to give yourself time, work only when you can concentrate on just assembling the board, and take multiple breaks if you get fatigued. And maybe have that beer or two to steady the hand for some of the tight soldering pads. :D

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input
I can solder pretty good I guess and time to me is not an issue got another 300 days or so to do it

I guess I will order one and try

1st year 16 channels and building.....
Tommy

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!

After reading the manual I'm sold! I used to design pc boards for a company and putting on the equipment in nothing. This is definitely the way I will be going. I'll try one and see how it goes and if it's a snap I'll probably get a few more to sell to the locals to get the town moving.