Light-O-Rama Forums

Configuration of E1.31, LOR AC Controllers and LOR CMB24Ds

bbrescia

This has to work by tomorrow, ha!

I've got an E1.31 network set up - laptop is the driver. The smart controllers (AlphaPix 4's and 16's) work great, firing all the smart strip for fascia outlining as expected in Universes 2 through 27.

I have reserved and assigned Universe 1 addresses for my LOR stuff (LED light string props and dumb RGB), starting with of course, Universe 1, channel 1.

I will use only 4 LOR AC controllers for tomorrow's show, along with 3 LOR CMB24D's.

Questions:

1. Do I use a feed from one of the E1.31 network switches to go first into the LOR AC controllers (with a cross-over cable)? Then LOR AC #1 to #2 to #3 to #4 (Daisy chain)?

2. Can I also just take a feed from a network switch into any or all LOR CMB24D's? I will set the jumpers for DMX mode...  or do they need to be daisy-chained in channel order configuration?

3. Because everything will be in high-speed Ethernet mode, does the hookup order matter? For example, I've got 8 RGB floods, each with its own dumb controller inside the flood, set to a unique Universe 1 address. They are fed by CAT5 cable.

Thanks!

Bob

No you cannot connect lor ac controllers to the E1-31 direct you need a E1-31 to DMX bridge Or see if the alpha pic 4 has a DMX output some smart controllers do

It does - it is an RS485 take-off. So I would start there for the LOR AC and DC controllers? I can set that feed to any universe so setting to Universe 1 and making sure the loads correspond to the order in the channel configuration should work?

Thanks!

Bob

Yes you would use that RS 485 terminal to connect your lor boxes however I believe you need a crossover cable for the first controller

I have had no end of trouble getting my Alphapix-16 to work woth my LOR SW. Holiday Coro indicated there is a firmware update being put together to help. You indicated you had no issues with your devices. Any config information you can pass on would be appreciate. Already lost Halloween. About to lose Christmas plan

Hello Lake Guy - we used to live on a lake in Michigan - loved it but oh so cold!

Anyway - I would be happy to share anything to get you going and you will NOT lose Christmas. If you want to email, feel free to do so - I am at robert.brescia@live.com

You can also call anytime at 432-214-6619 if you prefer to chat about it.

Just need to know what's not happening right... as a starting point.

Thanks - Bob

I'm confused, I have an Alphapix 4, which has the RS 485 / DMX output .  What can I do with that?  I have 8 LOR controllers, 1 CMB24D, and now an Aphapix 4.

Would that require changing all my controllers and reconfiguring everything,  Sorry, can't get my arms around this.

I'm confused, I have an Alphapix 4, which has the RS 485 / DMX output .  What can I do with that?  I have 8 LOR controllers, 1 CMB24D, and now an Aphapix 4.

Hi - I have 8 LOR controllers, 3 CMB24Ds, and a bunch of AlphaPix 4s and 16s. All are working nicely together. You can use the RS485 takeoffs on the AlphaPix controllers to eliminate the need for a USB dongle. In other words, run anything that requires low-speed, daisy-chaining such as dumb RGB floods, props that have dumb controllers (DC), etc. What's nice is that you can specify the DMX Universe in the AlphaPix setup. Start by assigning every channel in your sequences (even if unused) of your LOR AC controllers as DMX Universe 1, Channel x, etc. in order. Hook up the E1.31 signal from your laptop to your AlphaPix controller and assign the RS485 takeoff as Universe 1. Run that CAT5 (from the controller RS485 takeoff) to your first LOR AC controller or CMB24D. Use a crossover cable into the first AC LOR box, daisy-chain the rest and you're all set.

Just remember also that the RS485 takeoffs on the AlphaPix controllers are signal only - you will need to provide power to your light loads in other ways, such as power injection over CAT5 - explained in the AlphaPix online documents.

LOR can sense a DMX signal, so there's no need to flip any switches on any of them. You will need to change your channel configuration within your sequences though. For more info on this, see David Moore's detailed explanations on his Holiday Coro website.

Bob

Thanks Bob, so does this mean that the LOR USB dongle that currently starts the daisy chain from my PC to the first LOR CTB16PC would be eliminated and the first CTB16PC would get data from the AlphaPix 4?

Hi Blackwolf - yes, that's exactly correct. I always keep a few dongles around just to test things out before putting them on the network but that's it. I like Holiday Coro's controllers because of the RS485 take-off feature. I have no desire to lose my LOR controllers because I make talking / singing light props made up of AC light strings that are controlled by them just fine.

Good luck and make sure to consult Holiday Coro's documentation for the pin-outs and CAT 5 color-code hookups.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi - I have 8 LOR controllers, 3 CMB24Ds, and a bunch of AlphaPix 4s and 16s. All are working nicely together. You can use the RS485 takeoffs on the AlphaPix controllers to eliminate the need for a USB dongle. In other words, run anything that requires low-speed, daisy-chaining such as dumb RGB floods, props that have dumb controllers (DC), etc. What's nice is that you can specify the DMX Universe in the AlphaPix setup. Start by assigning every channel in your sequences (even if unused) of your LOR AC controllers as DMX Universe 1, Channel x, etc. in order. Hook up the E1.31 signal from your laptop to your AlphaPix controller and assign the RS485 takeoff as Universe 1. Run that CAT5 (from the controller RS485 takeoff) to your first LOR AC controller or CMB24D. Use a crossover cable into the first AC LOR box, daisy-chain the rest and you're all set.

Just remember also that the RS485 takeoffs on the AlphaPix controllers are signal only - you will need to provide power to your light loads in other ways, such as power injection over CAT5 - explained in the AlphaPix online documents.

LOR can sense a DMX signal, so there's no need to flip any switches on any of them. You will need to change your channel configuration within your sequences though. For more info on this, see David Moore's detailed explanations on his Holiday Coro website.

Bob

Dear, i have 1 alphapix4 (running good in LOR adv S4) and 2 x 27ch dumb RGB controllers + 2 LOR 16ac , what is the suggestion setting up ? Hardware and software???

I did tried to run my RGB controller from the RS485 using Universe17/ch1-ch27 but it only recognize ch17-18-19 as RGBch1 and ch20-21-22 as RGBch2 on the controller ??? Haven't tried setting up as universe 1 like you mention above!! Will do tomorrow cause it is 2 am now. Thanks !!!

Yes, try setting up your legacy stuff all as Universe 1 - map all channels, even the ones you may not eventually use so that the correspondence is perfect.  Good luck! BOb