Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller to computer help

allen11

I'm a newbie at this and am learning slowly. I have a new LOR 160xW controller and I can't get it to connect with my laptop, I keep getting a port error message. I'm using a Gigaware  usb to Ethernet adapter... help! Ugh

First you need to use one of the USB485 adapters from Light-O-Rama. A 'regular' USB adapter isn't going to work, as we're dealing with the RS485 protocol, not ethernet.

Second, be sure to download the firmware from the LOR Site, or use the CD provided with your USB order.

Hope he didn't fry something. For anyone else reading this thread, make absolute sure you understand....

LOR's comm buss is RS485 but uses cat5 cables to connect with. It is NOT compatible with ethernet(TCPIP). You must use LOR's USB to RS485 adapter as Don stated. If you connect the RS485 buss to a TCPIIP connection, something will burn. 

As stated, it's not ethernet.  The other thing I was going to suggest is to edit your profile so you give a more useful location that just CA.  That might mean, California, or maybe Canada (and I'm sure a few other places).  By giving a specific city (or least local area), it helps meeting up with locals who are often happy to help you out.  For all you know there are several members of the forum withing 5 miles (there are for me).

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe even put a label INSIDE the controller box {if you use the one from LOR, many don't} or a label on the PC Board near the cat5 jacks stating "DO NOT USE ETHERNET CONNECTIONS, A SPECIAL ADAPTER IS REQUIRED!"  in big bold RED CAPITAL LETTERS!

Was talking to a visitor to my display the other night and when i was telling them how it all worked and said cat5 cable, the first thing they stated, "Oh, I see it uses "Ethernet connections". and I had to tell them that's not correct, it uses a special adapter, but uses the RS485 protocols.