Light-O-Rama Forums

minimum requirements

tyb4

sry if this has been asked before but what will be the minimum requirements for LOR II. I want to know because im thinking about getting a used computer to control the lights so i can have sound back on my computer during the shows.

Guest wbottomley

tyb4 wrote:

sry if this has been asked before but what will be the minimum requirements for LOR II. I want to know because im thinking about getting a used computer to control the lights so i can have sound back on my computer during the shows.

Accorrding to the SII page: http://www.lightorama.com/LORIIS2.html

Required: 500mhz P3 512 ram

Recommended: 2gig P4 1gig ram

I'm using an old 733 MHz PIII with 384 Meg of RAM as my show controller. It's running Windows 2000, so the OS overhead is pretty minimal. It works fine for running the shows.

Mark

tyb4 wrote:

I think this is a good idea to have a separate old computer for your display. After all, a typical display will probably run most people easily more than $1,000 ($4K in my case), so you might as well spend $200 or $300 on a dedicated computer.

I use an older 733 MHZ (similar to another person's reply) with 640 Meg of ram, and running Windows XP. It works great. I keep it on a garage shelf with the FM transmitter and send out wireless control signals from there. Since I was controlling neighbors lights this year, I had to put the LOR transmitter just outside the garage under the lower eve of the house to transmit reliably to the neighbors, but it is a lot more convenient to get a wire under the corner of the garage door if needed.

Since putting LOR on a dedicated computer last year and this year, I haven't needed to worry about causing show problems by using my computer to do other things and not having strange beeps and sounds being transmitted out on FM. Furthermore, things are more reliable by not having LOR sharing computer resources with other programs running. I've seen this to be one of the biggest issues on this board.

Lastly, I use Windows Remote Desktop on this office computer so I can quickly connect to the garage LOR computer to see how things are going, or to correct anything without freezing my butt off by being in the garage. Plus, I don't need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse out there. During the rest of the year, that computer runs security cameras, and transmits music through the FM transmitter to hear throughout the house. Thus, you can use that computer for other things.

cheers, Richard

Richard Hamilton wrote:
Lastly, I use Windows Remote Desktop on this office computer so I can quickly connect to the garage LOR computer to see how things are going...

great idea i forgot about remote desktop and like you said it would save me money and space in the garage not having to buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse

Mountainwxman wrote:

tyb4 wrote:

Is this requirement for sequencing? I have an older computer (400MHZ with 320MB of RAM running XP Pro) that I was going to keep in the garage to just run the show and nothing else. Will it work?

• 4 weeks later...

brewer wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
tyb4 wrote:

Is this requirement for sequencing? I have an older computer (400MHZ with 320MB of RAM running XP Pro) that I was going to keep in the garage to just run the show and nothing else. Will it work?

I also have an old computer in the garage that I am hoping to use for seqencing and running the show. It is a P2-450 with 384MB RAM running XP Home edition. I will probably have 32 channels. I could also sequence on my main computer which exceeds the recomended system requirements, in this case could the old garage computer handle running a 32 channel show with LOR II? Maybe if I use wav files instead of mp3 to eliminate decoding overhead?

Howard