Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR and LOR2

Guest guest

After reading over some of the new features coming in 2006, I'm very excited. However, I'm in a bit of a quandry. Since I am brand new to computerized lighting, I don't currently own anything. Should I buy my first LOR controller as soon as they are available, or should I wait until the MP3 controller and new LOR2 software comes out.

I'm dying to get my hands on this stuff, but if I'm reading correctly, there may be some hardware incompatabilities. No sense buying stuff that I will have to turn around and ship back for firmware upgrades, because the new wireless connectors and MP3 cards are certainly on my to-do list!

Don - am I reading everything correctly? Whould I be wise to wait for the latest and greatest (a true test of patience...)

Thanks!

~K

Firstly the only thing that you could actually get anytime soon is going to be LOR software. Which you download. Dan is still getting stocked back up right now. The reason a lot of people are purchasing the software now thou is because when the new LOR II software comes out you will be able to upgrade it for free. But if you hold off you are going to have to pay the new price which will be higher than what it is today. A lot of us are anxiously waiting the April sale to get some controllers.

I would wait-you ask why??? because Light-O-Rama is currently out of stock anyway. From what I have read, the new boards will accept LORII software with a firmware update. The only board that will need the update, I believe is the ctb08 board.

Kaeleb wrote:

After reading over some of the new features coming in 2006, I'm very excited. However, I'm in a bit of a quandry. Since I am brand new to computerized lighting, I don't currently own anything. Should I buy my first LOR controller as soon as they are available, or should I wait until the MP3 controller and new LOR2 software comes out.

Kaeleb,

As JR mentioned, If you haven't already purchased the LOR software, do it now. As for the controllers, there's not much you can do until stock is back up.

Tom

Buy the software now! I am new to this also and the software is fairly easy to use and you can start your sequencing (setting up your light show to music) now. Playing with the software is half the fun. My wife is even amazed and what it can do (and what I did with it!) Make sure you read over Don's FAQ page.

I went ahead and bought the software. Now I will wait as patiently as the rest for the controllers to come in stock.

My question regarding waiting, however, had nothing to do with availability (I knew the they were out of stock from the website). According to the website, new stock was expected sometime in Feb, but the newer versions aren't scheduled to be released until between April and June (Second Quarter, if I read everything correctly). I was trying to decide if I should grab up a controller or 2 when the stock becomes first available or wait for the hip, new gear (MP3 and wireless...:cool:)

I've decided to just wait. In the meantime, I will draw, plan, buy lights, play with the software, and read all the wonderful tips on this awesome board!

Thanks for everyones' input! Dan - have you got anything to add??

~K

Kaeleb wrote:

Thanks for everyones' input! Dan - have you got anything to add??
Not really.. I agree with everything posted... If yo wait until April you will save some money and there will be more to choose from. With respect to features the controllers will not have any new lighting features so if you buy in Feb vs April there isn't much difference.

lkcubsrule wrote:

Do we still pay 79.95 for software now or 104.85? (w/o the controller or anything else?)
The software is still 79.95 and will stay at that price until LOR II comes out. I will give plenty of warning that LOR II is close at hand so people get one last chance to grab the software at the $80 price. When the price of the software goes up so will the price of a starter kit.

good...because on the site under hobbyist products, 104.95 if purchased individually (which was what i was going to do) w/ the serial connector, then i saw the one under SOFTWARE...was 79.95 w/o the serial connecter....everythings good now