Light-O-Rama Forums

MIDI files

JimCanfield

I just noticed that MIDI is a song format similar to mp3. I also noticed that LORII has a MIDI wizard. So in order to use this I need to make my files .MIDI? If so there will be questions following lol.

MIDI files are nothing like MP3 files. MIDI is a protocol that allows electronic musical instruments and computers to talk amogst themselves. MP3 files are compressed sound files. A MIDI file is basically a data file that tells some synthisizing hardware or software how to make the music. A MP3 file is an actual recording of the music. I hope this all makes sense.

I haven't used a MIDI file to make a sequence with LOR yet, but I think that it could work out pretty cool.

Anyone here use a MIDI file in LOR?

JimCanfield wrote:

I just noticed that MIDI is a song format similar to mp3. I also noticed that LORII has a MIDI wizard. So in order to use this I need to make my files .MIDI? If so there will be questions following lol.

Hey Jim,

I see one good response already. I suggest just going to the Google search engine and type in "What is Midi". You will get zillions of links describing it.

On a side note, I first started out by using midi to control our house lights 15 years ago by using custom built stage controllers that would respond to midi commands. We assigned one midi instrument channel to control a 120VAC channel. It worked well, but was limited to 256 channels and midi tends to be very slow compared to something as fast and powerful as Dan's LOR. I also had a tough time synchronizing it to music (was files) during design time.

I haven't experimented with MIDI and LOR yet either, but I plan to do it next month when the Christmas dust settles. If I understand correctly. LOR is doing something similat to what I describe above. I used it as a command set to control lights directly. I think LOR is using it to decode an existing MIDI file and allowing you to assign LOR channels to specific instruments.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this as I begin to experiment.