Light-O-Rama Forums

Ringing the doorbell causes interference on one of my 2811 strips

canadianchristmas

Last night I was outside working on my lights for halloween, the lights were all turned off but the controllers were still running. I was going to go inside the house but the door got stuck so I rang the doorbell a few times, thats when I noticed the first 3 pixels on the window frame closest to the doorbell just randomly lit up, I rang the doorbell a few more times and I could get those 3 pixels to randomly change colours...

I don't mind this issue because as soon as you send another command to the strip it goes away instantly and when the show is running nothing happens.

This is very odd to me,

the whole house is using 3 core pigtails and 3 core extension cords.

How wierd!!!

Are the lights the first one? Sometimes electrical noise causes one or two of the first pixels in a string to turn on with my Pixlite4.

Is the doorbell mains powered or battery and is it wireless?

Wireless doorbell?

No the doorbell is a wired one.

How wierd!!!

Are the lights the first one? Sometimes electrical noise causes one or two of the first pixels in a string to turn on with my Pixlite4.

Is the doorbell mains powered or battery and is it wireless?

It is the first 3 pixels on the strip, the doorbell is wired in to the house, I suspect it is from electrical interference from the doorbell wiring like you said.  

At least now you can say that your show is interactive!! :-P

LOL I love that, I will have to keep it in mind!  :D

Here is a picture I took outside after ringing the doorbell, I took this picture last night:

post-10486-0-59778500-1444253438_thumb.j

Induction (like RF) is Voodoo.

Just remember because you posted the problem here on the LOR site it has to be something wrong with our software, not the hardware ;)

I wonder why the lights turn on and why they go certain colours. When the ground cable comes out of my controller (The one that goes to my pixels) random lights come on. It is normally the first one and the second on red, and the fourth on green.

Just now the first light on my arches flashed random colours while a fluorescent light was coming on, then stayed a pinkish white when it had turned on completely.

A blonde goes to a doctor and she says it hurts when I press here. Doctor says well quiet pushing there. So moral of story is quiet ringing the door bell. No, really try to move the wires further from the door bell push button. Maybe ferret beads on the RGB leads just before the strip and maybe near the controller too.

Just get it over with and burn your house down.

I will get on to that after Halloween....  :D Thanks for the great renovation idea! emoji-pop-090.jpg

A blonde goes to a doctor and she says it hurts when I press here. Doctor says well quiet pushing there. So moral of story is quiet ringing the door bell. No, really try to move the wires further from the door bell push button. Maybe ferret beads on the RGB leads just before the strip and maybe near the controller too.

LOL Im blonde, I have moved the wires around, I Had some AC power cords running over them and it has seemed to fix it somewhat

Edited by canadianchristmas

GHOSTS....  looks like just cheap insulation on your wires to your door bell..  closeness to your lights is letting the magnetic sig get from your door bell wiring to your lights...  

Not a electrician here but I remember from school electrical currents produce magnetism or some kind of signal.... May need to just replace your door bell wiring to fix the problem.

maybe try shielding somehow between where your wiring is and where your lights are... experiment with some foil...

It works for stopping the alien signals I use to get before adding some into my baseball cap when I am outside... hahaha

• Like 1

Hey old sarge,

That tin foil in the base ball cap only works if you have a wire attached to the foil and it is long enough to drag across the ground, about 6" of it and bare too.

I tried that but kept tripping on it plus it was picking up to much ground static so...

I made a small antenna like the old tv rabbit ears for it and that seemed to work to help stop the interference from the wrong planet from getting threw... Acted more like a filter..