Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone tried using EL wire?

Douggg

Anyone tried using EL wire?  Seems like it would be perfect form making signs, outlines etc.  And it appears to be very affordable.

From what I understand it can be powered with 120 VAC 60 HZ.  Any one given it a try?
Or with a $5.00 PS with 3 VDC which coverts it to I think 120 VAC but at 600 HZ.

Thinking of using this instead of LEDs.

Would like to know if anyone has give it a try.

Do you use EL wire with AC LOR controllers or can EL wire be used with the DC controllers?  

Thanks

Edited by Douggg

Have played with el wire. The misses sowed them into a oneszie. They looked great. We had 4 of them. Someone made a a bell from it. But was a little dim amongst the other lights. Have a search for elimination on YouTube.great sequencing and dancing. Would be dc.

Jerry Plak has used it and given demo's at the Chicagoland mini's in past years.

I use it for signs on my O gauge train layout.

It's easy to use, but is designed to be used where it doesn't get moved (flexed) much, as it can fail easily...

I have a jack Skelleton wire frame I use it on. There is a little company here in Portland that stocks all the wire.  This will be my second year with it and I decided to cut all the connectors and just hard solider all the connections since mine is outside. Seems that it will work better.

The wire is not that expensive, you cost will be in how many inverters you buy.  I'll have to find a pict.

EL Wire will not handle fast chases and each strand of it requires the appropriate sized driver for the length used.

When the power is shut off to the driver it slowly releases the last of the charge in it which takes a second or two to drain out.

Most of the smaller drivers run off of 9v but 12v makes it brighter and last longer. It still won't be as bright as regular Christmas lights or LED's. Coolneon.com sells EL Wire. I have over 200' of it in 9 colors of the 2.6mm size and 36 drivers.

AC drivers run from $12.00 to $110.00 each. DC drivers from $5.00 to $110.00 each. I bought medium sized DC drivers that can run 2' to 35' of EL Wire and cost $7.00 each

• The topic was locked