Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 / DMX to LOR and AlphaPix4

mking0310

I hear my brain cells burning as I try to figure this out.

Last year I ran DMX and LOR on different networks.  I used the LOR usb to cat 5 dongle for LOR,  and I used the Entec DMX dongle for my DMX.

I just got the AlphaPix4 and a friend said I Could run just one network, using DMX only, for LOR Controllers and AlphaPix (DMX RGB LED ABCDEFG)  :)

Using Unicast I can control Lights connected to the AlphaPix from Sequence Editor

Using Multi-cast, I cannot.  (I have no preference uni or multi.. just testing)

I cannot get my LOR controller to turn on any light and the green LED continues to blink.  

*** I've tried lots of things and cannot wrap my head around the concept.

Network Preferences:

Tried using Multicast and Unicast   

post-13907-0-99895400-1443825269_thumb.p

In your diagram you have the crossover cable plugged into an Ethernet port in your router? If so this is not good. My understanding s that it should be a serial rs485 connection like a dmx bridge or a dmx dongle/adapter

Unplug that - QUICK!

The LOR controllers DO NOT speak ethernet and the RJ-45 connector is not carrying ethernet.  By plugging your LOR controller into an ethernet switch, you risk letting the magic smoke out of either the switch or the controller.  LOR (and DMX for that matter) controllers use RS-485 serial data.

To do what you are wanting to do, you need to drive the LOR controllers with a DMX output from the Alphapix - just like your DMX controllers.

Jim, Thank you so much.  I was just wondering if I had to some how use the USB adapter like a Enttec Pro,  or if I needed to manufacture a cable that would go from the Alpha pix, to the LOR using some Cat5/CROSS-OVER ...    Your Computer icon with the LOR Software on the computer screen is very clever... I liked that! 

I look forward to the day when I'm able to return the kindness and help newbies, after I've got a few years of experience .... I am very grateful for your advice buddy..

TTYL,

Michael

• The topic was locked