Light-O-Rama Forums

Fried my New P12....

ezimnow

I'm not 100% sure how it happened. I just bought a new P12 and set it up for 12V with a Jumper from the first to second slot and then a jumper from the 3rd to 4th slot for 12V,

No lights hooked up to it as I was just going to config it. So I powered it up and Bam..a nice little spark and a crackle from the board!. 

The only thing I cant think happened was after i tinned the wired ends I saw a single strand from one jumper touching the other..would that be the cause?

I made sure the jumpers were not touching and powered up the board again and its up but I only see one Green LED light up on the bottom board instead of all 3.  Looks like the two in the rear of the bottom board are not lit.

I'm not 100% sure how it happened. I just bought a new P12 and set it up for 12V with a Jumper from the first to second slot and then a jumper from the 3rd to 4th slot for 12V,

No lights hooked up to it as I was just going to config it. So I powered it up and Bam..a nice little spark and a crackle from the board!. 

The only thing I cant think happened was after i tinned the wired ends I saw a single strand from one jumper touching the other..would that be the cause?

I made sure the jumpers were not touching and powered up the board again and its up but I only see one Green LED light up on the bottom board instead of all 3.  Looks like the two in the rear of the bottom board are not lit.

I am not sure a single strand would do it, but who knows. So you started from the left and went from +V to VI  and then from VO to +5 ?

yes, started from the left to right as I think the last one is a ground.

Well, I'll reach out to Ed and see what happens...What a waste.

Yep checked  the Fuses and they look good both main's to the PS and the Twelve to the Ports...

The only visible thing I see is that the Two green Led's on the bottom board don't light but I can't see any burned chips...

Edited by ezimnow

You've cooked the regulator chip on it. Now if it was on long enough to cook past it, then you've also cooked the onboard web page chip. Sorry but I know what it's like...I did the same thing to mine. I sent it back to Ed for possible repair but truly wasn't expecting to get it back from him since I toasted it. If you check the circuitry closely, you can bypass the regulator with 3 vdc only...nothing above and see if it'll boot up. The board might come to life but if you still don't see a webpage, then its done. I used to 1.5vdc batteries to get the 3vdc and sure enough it did light up but no communication...so it was dead and all my fault.

If you do get the webpage, let me know and I'll send you the regulator chip but you'll have to have a very precise soldering iron to replace it.

Edited by dgrant

So should we start a club for the things not to do !!!!!!! UGGGHH  Anyway, yes I can get to the web page still so maybe there is still life in it..As soon as Ed replies I'll send it in for repair

Thanks for all the info everyone

EZ

Lesson learned.. Last time I did anything like this I got in a hurry and wired a p12 straight to the AC.. LOL Sounded like a shotgun went off in the room....Haha