Light-O-Rama Forums

Assigning Channels -- Cosmic Color Pixels

Scott Tuthill

Ok -- new to the Pixel Editor, like everyone else I guess. I am struggling with channel assignments. I have three props, each is a 5 point star that will be concentric. The outer star uses 40 bulbs and the middle and inner star use 30 bulbs each. I can't sort out in the Shape and Channel sections of the Prop Definition screen how to assign the channels as needed. The issue is that the channel assignments need to skip over the Resolution, Macro, and Color channels which are numbered 151-160. So for example these are the channel assignments I am trying to get to:

Outer Star: 1-120

Middle Star: 121-150 then 161-220

Inner Star: 221-320

Is there a way to do this? Or, is there another approach I should be taking?

Thanks for any advice.

Scott Tuthill

I will add an option to skip over the macro channels in the next release. I am no longer going to pursue this enhancement now that a better approach has been found.

In the mean time, I would recommend modelling it as a custom line. The shape won't display correctly in the preview, but the channels will be correct. Attached is a screen shot of how the Prop Definition window should look. In the custom grid, you should use the numbers 1-10, followed 1001-1020. These are the pixel numbers. Numbers above 1000 tell the program you are starting a second string. This way, you get 2 rows in the channel grid. By clicking the "Individual Start Channels" checkbox, you can set the channels for the middle star as you have described above.

See my post on 9/27/2015 for a better approach.

Matt

post-2660-0-10549200-1443312543_thumb.pn

Thanks Matt. I sorta need the actual star shape to see what is happening as the effect is applied. I am also playing with the effects to see how they work on the star shape. The video tutorial does a great job demonstrating each of them on the rectangular matrix but a star is a different beast. Will there be a tool someday to define your own effects? Thinking things like a chase around the star, a fill from a point to the center or vice-versa, etc.

When you say "next release" is there a schedule you are working toward? Believe me I understand that s/w is event driven development, not schedule driven. But just wondering.

Scott Tuthill

If you create the custom shape as I suggested, once the new version is out any effects you created will work just the same - except that instead of moving left or right, they will move around the star.

See my post on 9/27/2015 for a better approach.

You can already chase around a star. Try the bars effect and set the Direction to left or right or H_expand or H_compress. The spiral effect works great on stars. The curtain effect can also do some interesting things. I was testing this on my own stars just the other day :)

Matt

OK, I found a much better answer.

1) Use the Hardware Utility to change the CCP controller's Unit ID Mode to "Dual Normal". This will assign 2 consecutive unit ID's to your controller - one for each string.

2) In PE's Preview Design, set up the Middle Star according to the first attached screen shot. Note that the Max Circuit is set to 150.

3) In Preview Design, select the Middle Star, then select Prop > Layout from the menu. This allows you to verify that the channels have been assigned correctly to each pixel. See the second attached screen shot.

Matt

post-2660-0-31542600-1443392528_thumb.pn

post-2660-0-02874800-1443392529_thumb.pn

Matt - You know I wondered about that approach and I studied the CCP and Pixel Editor documentation but could not convince myself that it would work. Thanks for sorting it out. Will not get a chance to try until this weekend. I do have the three stars all mounted up and ready to go. Glad I now have a modern way to sequence them. And, thanks for the tips on the chase. I will be playing around and posting my findings. Maybe even some photos and videos.

Scott

Matt -- I do believe your approach did it! In hindsight I realize part of my issue is that I had an old CB100D User Manual that did not mention Dual Normal mode -- though the choice was on the Hardware Utility screen of the version I had. What I looked at was using Legacy Mode -- which I don't think will work. Anyway -- off to play with Pixel Editor and control some lights!

Scott