Light-O-Rama Forums

Interferance with Garage Door Opener????

lleibeck

Is it possible for the LOR Wireless network to interfere with the transmitters for garage doors?

The neighbor and us are experiencing intermittent problems with the transmitters in our cars opening our garage doors. I have the LOR RF at the default frequency of 16.

This seemed to start around the time we setup the controllers

Thanks,

Lee

I know my Ramsey transmitter affects our ability to open the garage door with our car remotes. I am using LOR ELLs which are always on and that doesn't cause any problems. As soon as I turn the transmitter off, the door opens without issue. So my $ is on the FM transmitter.

Also, if memory serves the LOR ELLs use the 900mHz frequency range; whereas, I believe garage door openers operate somewhere in the 300mHz range - utilizing Part15 of the FCC regs that allow for low power unlicensed broadcasting - which I believe is a frequency owned / licensed by US military - which I recall seeing stories of people leaving near military installations that have problems with their door openers.

I have gotten into the habit of turning off the transmitter after the show ends - that way I know the kids can get into the house after school using the wireless keypad outside without issue. I just make sure I have my house key on me when I leave in case I can't get the door to open.

-Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the explanation. The door openers I have are new so the issue with the military is not a concern especially since I live about three miles from Naval Station Mayport.

I did turn the radio off and tried the doors, seem to work. Since this was intermittent problem I will give it a couple days.

I may have to include the radio on/off in my show.

Always good to hear from someone from Ohio, former Parma boy myself.

Merry Christmas

Lee