Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB08 with LOR2

Guest guest

Will the CTB08's that I plan to order already have the LOR2 protocol installed? Some of the program enhancements mentioned for LOR2 sound exciting, but I'm planning on using the simpler CTB08 boards. Will I be able to utilize the new software functions with them, or would you recommend another hobbyist board?

Thanks;

OCJ

OC Jerry wrote:

Will the CTB08's that I plan to order already have the LOR2 protocol installed? Some of the program enhancements mentioned for LOR2 sound exciting, but I'm planning on using the simpler CTB08 boards. Will I be able to utilize the new software functions with them, or would you recommend another hobbyist board?

The CTB08 cards are not compatable with LOR II... When LOR II comes out, we will provide a free upgraded processorfor the CTB08. That will require that you pull the chip from the socket and plug in the new one.

Please note that the very limited standalone capabilities of the CTB08 may be removed in LORII.

Since I haven't ordered the boards yet, I'm wondering if it's the right choice for me. I will only be using a computer to run the sequences, but perhaps I'm not exploring all my options here. Can you recommend a better choice? I thought that if I wasn't going to use the boards as a standalone unit, they would be fine, however, I'm always hoping to learn the right way BEFORE I make a mistake, but that's not the way is usually works out for me! ANY help in the right direction is GREATLY NEEDED!

Thanks

OCJ.

The CTB08 is a good entry level controller for the Hobbyist.... The standalone will most likely not be an issue and if you were planning on standalone then the CTB08 is not the correct choice. If you plan controlling it from a computer then you will be just fine.

So Dan if you wanted boards to control just one thing like a bunch of mini trees (75-100) would you suggest the CTB08's or would you suggest all of the standalones? All of the D boards could still act as standalones and control the CTB08's correct.

Maybe a better explanation is needed. If you have a line of mini trees of 100 and all you plan on doing with them is to chase, fade, shimmer, and twinkle would this be alright as part of the display? I discussed my plans for this year with you and LORII plays a big part in those plans as well as a fairly large purchase of boards. Just asking your opinion.

The biggest problem with the CTB08 is that it does not have firmware upgradability... As we add new lighting features it will eventually start to fall behind.

You are correct that a CTB08 can be directed by a CTB08D running in standalone mode.