Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting up a CCR to make separated pixels

Jay Czerwinski

I have a damaged CCR and had an idea to cut it up in to smaller segments and put some distance between each pixel.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best wire gauge/connectors/other that I should consider?

Right now I have a standard CTB16PC controller (16 channels) and I am using channels to light a single light bulb in 7 different Styrofoam pumpkins.   They only light in one color.   

My thinking is to put 1-3 pixels in a pumpkin and then have an extension wire go to the next pumpkin for the next three pixels, and so on.   This would allow me to do so many more pumpkins and in ANY color I want!   (Also a great benefit to go to low voltage and have a safer product where the lights are near the sidewalk)

I'm sure this must have been done before, so I would love to hear your advice.    (I searched for a while and couldn't find an existing thread - sorry if I am being redundant)

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Last year I used Cat5 cable and twisted the wire pairs together to create a 15 foot extension. It worked without any issues. I assume it would work just fine in your case.

This year we are putting dumb strips around all our windows so I bought some security wire from Lowes to use as the extensions. Everything tested fine with that too.

Treat the CCR as you would any pixel. I personally use 18 awg wire.

The extensions of this gauge are purchasable so I don't have to make them. I found that by purchasing them I have more time to other things than build them. Plus, they look more weatherproof.

Purchase a pigtail. Solder it on...insert extension......etc. Just like a pixel.

I use 20AWG for all my pixels.

I also use CAT5 in the same way as toddm1919 for some runs.

You may have to do power injection, which you may or may not be familiar with depending on if you have used other pixels before) to prevent voltage drop between the pieces of CCR.

• 2 weeks later...

After you cut open the water protection sleeve, do you use the same sleever or did you find a different product to put it in. I just found out i have 3 bad ribbons in the middle so i am trying to figure out what i should put the repaired ribbon in to protect it from water.

After you cut the strip, you can slide your hand across the sleeve and work the pixel out of it.

Replace your pixel and work the sleeve back into place. Use a good amount of silicon at the but joint and let dry.

• Like 1

After you cut the strip, you can slide your hand across the sleeve and work the pixel out of it.

Replace your pixel and work the sleeve back into place. Use a good amount of silicon at the but joint and let dry.

So just to clarify you cut the waterproof sleeve just below the ccr ribbon where your going to cut and remove or replace? Then repair the ribbon and slide the sleeve back and silicon it?

Cut the sleeve at the cut point. Then which ever half is longer, slide your hand across the silicon sleeve several times and it will begin to unsheath and expose the pixel you need to replace. After you replace the pixel, work the sleeve in the same manner back to its original position. You will be surprised how much that silicon sleeve collapses and expands.

• Like 1

I ended up using toddm1919's idea. I cut the strip at the cut points with the weatherproof sleeve still on it and slid the sleeve over a little during soldering. Then I cut 3" cat5 network cables in half to make mini pigtails, soldered them on and used the silicon glue LOR provided with the strips originally. Then, the beauty is I use a F-F straight pass through connector to add any length of cat 5 cable in between the pixels during installation. Very modular design. And allows for delicate storage of the pixels in between displays.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the ideas - now it is installed and I see a power drop at the end of the run and pixels are more pink.

Any direction on how I inject power in to a CCR?? (This has got to be posted somewhere already and I'm just not finding it)

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

• The topic was locked