Light-O-Rama Forums

Mac user parallels or vm fusion?

Paducks

Hello I wanted to know if anyone had experience using either one of these programs on their mac computer and what program would work better? I only need the windows for LOR programs. Thanks!

HI-

I am a avid Mac user for everything I do!!!! With this hobby and LOR being primarily PC I tried my luck with a mac mini running Parallels for the past three years and had great success (fairly large display) and never once had an issue.(CCR's, CCP's, Floods, Dumb Strips, 9 CTB boxes etc) I can't speak for someone using a Mac laptop but everything worked so well for me. Unfortunately I purchased a PC this off season as well as tons of pixels and things and have moved away from the Mac for no reason other than having a dedicated computer for the display as well as the wife having a computer back the whole year vs 9 months!

Good luck! :)

I use mac for everything I do, but we all know LOR is not mac compatible. So for the display I have a PC that runs the show. As far as sequencing goes, I have parallels 10 on my MacBook Pro. It runs great for sequencing and I wouldn't be afraid to run the show on it. My brother uses Boot Camp on his and he thinks that is more stable and uses less system resources. I just don't like having to reboot to switch back to OS X. I would highly recommend parallels to any Mac user needing Windows. 

I use Oracle's VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) on my iMac 5K.  It allows me to have pc windows open at the same time as I have Mac windows open.  It uses shared storage resources so I can move files back and forth between windows apps and Mac apps while working.  Ultimately, I run the show form a Raspberry Pi running Falcon Christmas Player (http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/board,8.0.html).

So, develop and test on the iMac with VirtualBox (running XP by the way) and play on the Raspberry Pi.

For your consideration........Burt

HI-

I am a avid Mac user for everything I do!!!! With this hobby and LOR being primarily PC I tried my luck with a mac mini running Parallels for the past three years and had great success (fairly large display) and never once had an issue.(CCR's, CCP's, Floods, Dumb Strips, 9 CTB boxes etc) I can't speak for someone using a Mac laptop but everything worked so well for me. Unfortunately I purchased a PC this off season as well as tons of pixels and things and have moved away from the Mac for no reason other than having a dedicated computer for the display as well as the wife having a computer back the whole year vs 9 months!

Good luck! :)

Thank you! I have a dumb question- when I purchase the parallels for my mac I also have to purchase a new windows operating system disk right? We have an iMac which might be a better place vs labtop to sequence but I bought a showtime unit so I just need the computer to program the sd card. Thanks!

Thank you! I have a dumb question- when I purchase the parallels for my mac I also have to purchase a new windows operating system disk right? We have an iMac which might be a better place vs labtop to sequence but I bought a showtime unit so I just need the computer to program the sd card. Thanks!

Yes, or if you have a valid one already. It asks for your key when you setup parallels. I think a new version just came out, but I have parallels 10 and it works great running Windows 7. I have found that OS to be the best for LOR as far as being user friendly. Maybe someday they will make LOR Mac compatible.

Yes, or if you have a valid one already. It asks for your key when you setup parallels. I think a new version just came out, but I have parallels 10 and it works great running Windows 7. I have found that OS to be the best for LOR as far as being user friendly. Maybe someday they will make LOR Mac compatible.

Thanks! One more question, do I download and install parallels first then windows or other way around??

Thanks! Meaning am I able to download from Microsoft website the windows file onto a Mac and then install parallels? Sorry if this is redundant but my husband would not be too happy if I crashed our computer

Edited by Paducks