Light-O-Rama Forums

Manual override of show start

costa

It will probably end up being something real simple that I didnt think of, but here it goes:

I have setup my show to start every hour on the hour and it goes for about 15-16 minutes. Everything is fine with that.

Now, what if I have some guests over and they cant stay till the next hour. Is there a way to manually start the show without having to change everything?

That's a great request. A "play now" button in the show editor... or something along those lines would be nice.

Charlie

I'm always a little confused why people want only 25% or so of their lights-on time to be animated. What about all the people who come the rest of the time? And don't you have traffic issues with first people waiting for the show to start, then waiting through the show itself?

My motto is get them in, give them a taste, and get them moving on so someone else can watch...

-Tim

Huh? I never said that. I was asking for a way to play the whole show at a different (extra) time that is between the start times.

Example: My show starts at 5 goes till 5:17 and the next one starts at 6. If I have guests coming at 5:20 and they have to leave at 5:50 for example, there is no way for me to set it up easily to show them the show. I would still want the next one to start at 6.

Edit: Oh You mean why I only have it for 15 minutes or so? Personal choice. Besides I dont have traffic issues. But thats irrelevant to my question

I think that Tim meant was, why have people waiting 45 minutes for the next show in the first place?

To answer your question, you can use the infra-red detector from LOR or some other type of triggering device.

Tim_L wrote:

I think that Tim meant was, why have people waiting 45 minutes for the next show in the first place?

Yep that's what I meant:

Shows on the hour, lasting "about 15 minutes" means people will be waiting "about 45 minutes" until the lights start again.

At best, a lot of people are going to miss the lights dance. At worse, you'll have a lot of traffing hanging around, for as much as an hour, if they really want to see the show and just missed the last one... Traffic == unhappy neighbors 95% of the time...

Edit: Oh You mean why I only have it for 15 minutes or so? Personal choice. Besides I dont have traffic issues. But thats irrelevant to my question

Wow, hostile much? Carry on, good luck with the rest of your questions hope others can help answer them for you.

-Tim

Did not mean to sound hostile. If it came out like that I apologize. What I meant was that I did not want to derail the conversation about the problem/question to something else that was irrelevant.

Tim_L wrote:

you can use the infra-red detector from LOR or some other type of triggering device.

That only works in stand-alone mode, doesn't it?

Cheers,
Charlie

Tim Fischer wrote:

Wow, hostile much? Carry on, good luck with the rest of your questions hope others can help answer them for you.

Ah... the great failing of message boards and email.

It's so easy to be misinterpreted when typing, I find I usually need to re-read what I write several times before clicking "send" to make sure my meaning and tone are clear.

Then again, if I've had enough Robust Porter I type just about anything. :P

I just stop/disable the show using the control panel and then re-enable it. It starts over automatically. Normally, my show just keeps repeating itself, but I live in the middle of the desert (off the beaten track) and only get a couple cars each night. If someone wants to see the entire show from the beginning, that is how I do it. I don't publicize the show, it's just word of mouth. But if someone treks out here to see it, I will restart from the beginning for them. It's a 15 minute show that tells a story, i.e., flood lights lighting up cutouts to go with the soundtrack, etc. It's not as much the type of show where the lights are synched to the music as the lights are synched to the story. Again, I live out of the way and have virtually no traffic.