Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitter

ebrown1972

I purchased the CZE-7C it said it has 7 to 1 watt, I tested it on high and can hear about a mile ,not great sound at one mile but 3 blocks away from house it works great and not having outdoor antenna.

Where is Greg Young when you need him. For years he beat the drum in these threads.

Guys, you are asking for problems if you are cranking your transmitters up. The FCC should they find out will not give you much of a slap on the wrist. There can be equipment confiscation and incredible fines, and yes, they have started cracking down on us little guys.

You should know about all the aspects of FCC Title 47 Part 15. Rule of thumb is to keep your broadcast immediately around your personal space (200ft). If you are going out thousands of feet to miles, you are asking for issues. If you do not have a good relationship with your community, and someone does not like what you do, this is one means they have to shut you down.

Our PacNW electrical guru Pete Peters, has a great presentation about what you should know. He has presented at our regional CLAP mtg several times and also at Christmas Expo in 2014/2015 on this. I have copies of his material I can fire off to anyone if you are interested. PM me with your email address.

Edited by zman
  • Like 1

Where is Greg Young when you need him. For years he beat the drum in these threads.

Guys, you are asking for problems if you are cranking your transmitters up. The FCC should they find out will not give you much of a slap on the wrist. There can be equipment confiscation and incredible fines, and yes, they have started cracking down on us little guys.

Agree with Mark. You are simply asking for trouble if you crank up your transmitters. You may find it awesome that you can X feet/miles, but the FCC won't, and could take action against you.

It's just not worth the risk.

According to 47 CFR 15 if your unlicensed FM transmission extends further then 200 ft. from the source a first time offense is a fine between $10k-$75k.

I re-read some of the comments. If you are having problems with low level hum on your output, try putting a choke on your power cord similar to this:

http://www.radioshack.com/snap-choke-core/2730069.html

I was hearing some low level hum and noticed when i put the transmitter on a cheap mechanical timer (so i wasn't broadcasting "dead air" all night) the hum went away. I'm sure someone on here can explain exactly why that happened and it was a nice surprise.

I have also beat this drum for years. But ignorant people got mad at me. So I figure that not to far in the future there will be some shows shut down and selling their lights and controllers to pay for those fines. Thats fine with me and others cause we will be making a killing on cheap controllers and lights. SO go on a boast about being able to hear your show for miles. We will see who will be crying in the future about how there externial antennas and 7 watt transmitters got them in trouble. And I love the guy who is broadcasting 5 miles away with only 5mw of power. Do you people read and learn anything or just put this plug into this socket and turn it on?

I was hearing some low level hum and noticed when i put the transmitter on a cheap mechanical timer (so i wasn't broadcasting "dead air" all night) the hum went away. I'm sure someone on here can explain exactly why that happened and it was a nice surprise.

You are some how getting some electromagnetic interference through your power cord which causes the hum and the timer some how clears it up a bit. You should have a barrel looking object built into your power cord, it is a ferrite ball which cleans up the signal for sensitive equipment which need clean power you will see them on cameras, monitors and other things that may flicker (or produce a hum) with a dirty power source.

I've done this for four years now, but I'm still very much a noob. How can you regulate the signal output to avoid any legal threat?

You have to add an attenuator to the base of the antenna. The attenuator will reduce the power coming out of the antenna.

A 10db attenuator will reduce the output by a factor of 10. So if the transmitter puts out .5db on low power a 10db attenuator will reduce that to .05db.

Edited by Mr. P

Brandon, the FCC measures radiation with some equipment that most folks certainly don't have, or have access to. The rule of thumb is if you keep your transmitter on the lowest power setting, and have it radiate out about 200ft. Test this by using your car radio, drive away from your house. If you are picking up the signal more than several hundred feet away, you may want to think about using attenuator like Mr. P suggested.

I know some go through the hassles of creating a di or j pole antenna. I have a lot of trees and live in a rural area, and I now stick with just a rubber whip antenna. I have no problems. I am a bit out of compliance myself, but not much.

Edited by zman

I don't want to hijack this thread but I don't know if it is OK to use a transmitter in the UK.

I want to use either the whole house transmitter or preferably the CZH05b.

I started a thread on the Blue Rooms and they say I shouldn't, but many displays in this country do and have not got in trouble.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=65405&st=0

I purchased the Sansonic version and am very impressed with it.  I did a bunch of power/range tests with it after I got it.  For now I have it fine tuned it to give me just the right amount of range for the display, nothing more, and it has great clarity. 

I also did a FULL power test just to see how far I could hit it.  I could still clearly hear my transmission that day about five miles away.  (your results may be different)  It almost scared me how far it transmitted.

According to members on the Blue Rooms, broadcasting music like this is completely illegal.

I use to live in the UK and I remember all the licensing requirements. Now I don't know if those laws are still in place now or not. The dreaded TV tax and I think there was a radio tax too back in those days. Those were for watching TV and if the radio tax was real ( I don't know), for listening to the radio. I did have the TV Tax guys come to my small place over there wanting to see my receipt for paying the TV tax...which I didn't have. Fortunately for me, the antenna wire was laying on the floor disconnected and I was watching a video. It is illegal over here to play copyrighted material over the air and it's illegal to broadcast on the FM radio without a formal FCC license. There are allowances for very small power outputs as I'm sure were already stated in this thread. I'm taking a wild guess that the UK is the same or far more controlled. If that old radio tax still exists, then you have a problem. Again, never confirmed the radio tax when I was over there, but the TV tax was real.

Yes. Everyone needs a TV license. It is better that way because then we don't have to watch adverts on the BBC.

Apparently it is illegal to broadcast copyrighted music over FM and advertise the frequency, even on low power. I think nearly everybody on here does that.

Also apparently I need a PRS licence, but I'm not going to get one, as nobody I have asked on here has one.

I have the older version of this. Going into my 4th year. So far it has been a great Transmitter.  I think my neighbors like it too cuase they don't have to listen to the music over and over and over again.

To be courteous to the OP, for the discussion around the UK issues, you may want to start a separate thread, with a descriptive title to get more relative and pertinent input and keep this thread US based.

• Like 1

Got my CZE-05b today. Put the antenna on and plugged it in and pressed the power button and nothing. Completely dead. Very frustrated considering I was looking very forward to having good reception. Ordered it from Newegg which came from China. I guess I will have to send it back and decide what I should get now.

I am not sure if this is the same model radio as you got. But I have heard this happen several times. The problem is that the owner did not read the manual. From what I remember hearing in the past. The radio in question requires a special first time start up. Pay close attention to the manual and see if there is something you have to do the first time you power up.