Light-O-Rama Forums

HolidayCoro vs. LOR DC controllers

Dcroc

Thought I was saving a boat load of money by buying Holidaycoro RGB controllers over LOR.  However, turns out that the 27 ch Holidaycoro controller, which has 9 outputs, can not handle 9 strips because it max's out at 15 amps (2 amps per output, or 15 max for the board).  Why would they make a controller with 9 outputs if it can only handle 5 full strips? Now I have to buy 2 controllers, 2 power supplies, and 2 enclosures to do the same thing that one LOR controller would have done.  The Holidaycoro controller is about half the price of the LOR controller, BUT since I need 2 it now cost the same UNTIL I have to add a second power supply and enclosure, which actually makes the Holidaycoro controllers more expensive.  I am learning that if something is that much cheaper than the next guys product......there is a reason.  Guess a bit more homework should be done before I purchase anything else from either place.  I still love Holdiaycoro, and don't really have anything bad to say about them.  I just wish I had looked a bit more closely at what I was buying and what I needed. I simply don't understand why they would have a board with limits so low that you can't really use the whole board?

I used several of the 27 channel RGB controllers on my windows because I only used partial strips.  there is a need for those, just depends on your application.  

The other thing to remember is that the HC controllers (I have one too) is DMX and does not run on a LOR network.  Not an issue if you are running DMX for other stuff anyway, but if not, you also get to add a DMX dongle as well (unless you can get the DMX out of an E1.31 controller).

Application is key. The 27 channel controllers (which many other vendors sell too) is great for low bulb high channel items.

A few things come to mind:

Floods

Pumpkins

Tombstones

Stars

Mini Xmas trees

Snowflakes

Basically anywhere you want to control an rgb element but not with pixels.

Strips....my first thought is I want to control more than a single strip on my roof lines etc....but yeah, the 27 controller not a good choice.

That is why it is so important to research before buying.

But...don't think you wasted your money. I know you will find a use for all your controllers even if it's not for those strips. (Or if you decide on pixels for your roofline later). There are so many rgb elements you can add to a display. And you will need channels.

I have 2 of those for my pumpkins in fall and stars in winter. And I want more. These controllers are perfect for such things.

Btw, nothing says you have to use 2 power supplies. If your supply has the wattage for all your strips on 2 cards, you can just use connectors to bring over the power on the second card.

Sax

Edited by sax

I use these 27 ch controllers to run arches, mini trees, and now chroma poles with triple stars. Yeah I could have used pixels I know. But for what I was trying to do this fit the bill.

They do have their place. As stated above Just plan wisely.

I have almost a full universe of these boards.  Another consideration- in at least my case of the blinky world, I do very little in all white, so in effect, the draw is never all on at once. I use single or a mix of colors and the board is never used at full load.

When I have dealt with holiday coro I always told him what my plan was and let him find a controller that worked. He knows his stuff and early in the year is the time to problem solve.

They both do the same thing, in theory, but the different max loads means they are used for different stuff.

If you wanted to control a 60led/meter RGB Strip that goes around your window, for example, as this is 6 amps in total (2per channel), I would pick the LOR CTB16PC, because that is the maximum of HolidayCoro's 27 channel controller.

If I had 9 pumpkins with two single square RGB modules in them, then I would pick the 27 channel controller, because it has one more RGB group of channels, and can handle the small amount of power needed by those lights, yet costs less.

Yeah, I have to chalk this up to newbie ignorance.  I still love the HC cards (all their products are great, actually), I just wish I had done a little more homework before hand.  I am actually not new to dealing with/ assembling electronics/electricity.  For some reason, though, all of this was a bit overwhelming at first, and I didn't focus on the details like I should have. Pretty sure I can still use what I have, but a purchase of an LOR RGB controller is on the "need" list.

• The topic was locked