Light-O-Rama Forums

Unit ID trouble

drivemewilder

I've been running Advanced S3 for a few years now.  Advanced has unlimited number of controllers and I've been running 11 controllers (id's 1-9, 0A, 0B). Last week I added 2 more ccp controllers, 0C and 0D. Last night I attempted to add my CMB24d board and assign it as 0E.  The red LED stopped flashing as it should when I brought up the HU.  However I got a "unable to set unit ID, try again later" message.  I tried multiple times with no luck.  Finally I tried setting it to unit 3 since I will not be using that controller this year, and it immediately said that it was successful.  Any ideas why I had trouble?

you know you set the id on the cmb24 with the dipswitchs on the board and not with the hardware utility.

Nope...didn't realize they had a dipswitch.  Everything I've ever done was through the HU...so a dipswitch didn't even cross my mind.  Ok, so switching it in the HU overrode the dipswitch apparently.  If I want to re-set it with the dipswitch, how do I undo what I did using the HU?

Set the dipswitchs off the chart supplied with controller or look on lor website   set dipswitchs then power unit up and it should be fine hardware utitlity will find it but can't change id on this card.

Dis-regard this post - I misread the question...

Edited by k6ccc

Everything about this is confusing. So i've referred to the owners manual and see a binary system for setting dip switches.  However, the board is numbered 1-12, left to right (opposed to right to left if binary).  The 6 and 8 were already in the up, or on, position from the factory.  My guess is that 6+8=14.  However when i refresh the screen in HU, it finds 0 units.  I can turn the unit off, change the dip switch,turn on power, refresh and always get 0 units. BUT, if i set the dip switch to 3, then "change existing id" to 3....it successfully changes the unit id.  Once i refresh the screen though, it shows 2 units found....3 and 13??? However....once i turn the power off to the unit and then turn back on, refresh shows me 0 units again.

Edited by drivemewilder

Got it!!!  So i had to disregard the printed 1-12.  The binary system works, and it start at the printed number 9 and works back to the left.  When i tried using the binary system, i was working backwards from number 12...the furthest dip switch to the right.  Thanks man.