Light-O-Rama Forums

Barn Doors for 10w/50w Floods?

EmmienLightFan

I don't know about barn doors, but I heard that the 50w floods would have custom-fit waterproof diapers available by setup time.

Emmien, don't worry about George on this one. 

I think we have a language barrier here. What are "barn doors" that you are talking about? Here in the US they are, well, doors that go on a barn.... 

Barn doors for lights are adjustable panels that allow shaping of the light pattern from a light. They look like barn doors mounted to the front of the light fixture. They are almost always used on stage lights. You have likely seen them without thinking about them.

Thanks, Jim! I've seen them all over the place, and have even thought about them for LOR products. Never knew the name.

Emmien, Not barn doors but this was my fix when I was looking and couldn't find them. 

Last season I used LOR 10w Floods to light up 8 figures in a life size white coro Nativity scene, and I was having problems with the colors "bleeding" over onto other figures within the Nativity. After looking and not finding barn doors for the floods I ended up using black coro and made my own barn doors.  Now they may not look professionally made, don't worry no one will see them... you're just looking to get the effect.  I used duct tape to attach them to the floods and it worked great! 

I know that real barn doors are designed to adjust so the angle of the light can be directed to a certain location and that angle can be changed from show to show (as in a performance on stage).  You have to realize, once your lights are setup and you are satisfied with the light direction using coro, there is no reason to change the angle or direction of light.

Two great reasons for using the coro.

1. It won't rust!

2. It's cheap!

Hope that helps,

Paul

Thanks, Jim! I've seen them all over the place, and have even thought about them for LOR products. Never knew the name.

Actually I'm sure there is a "proper" name, but I have never heard them called anything other than barn doors.

This article explains many of the lighting accessories used in stage lighting.  The photo of a set of barn doors is not overly good, but should give the idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_lighting_accessories

Top Hat, Half Hat etc. etc. the list goes on and on- but get yourself some blackwrap and blacktak from any theatrical vendor and "make your own"- I did that last year and it worked great and held up in the freezing cold and all the snow we had!

Top Hats are different to Barn Doors :P

Barn doors are much better.

I do a lot with stage lighting and I forgot that you guys don't understand their terminology.

Other than the words they use, professional lighting operators/engineers do pretty much the same stuff.

The main difference is that they call controllers dimmer packs, and they spend 10x the amount on pixels and get the same result, if not worse.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Not sure who you are referring to- I have a degree in theatre specializing in lighting design, worked professionally for years on Broadway tours and now teach at the college level lighting and sound design. Hence my post on top hats, barn doors etc etc.. the list of accessories goes on an on.  Yes lots more money in the professional world but this as a hobby is still pretty expensive. And Barn Doors being better- I guess matter of preference and in what application they are being used.. :)

Edited by LightguyGreg

get yourself some blackwrap and blacktak from any theatrical vendor and "make your own"

Light splash problem solved.

Thanks Greg!