Light-O-Rama Forums

More Power

Guest guest

I am planning my next years show, 48 LOR channels, and I'm wondering what most have done about electrical service. This is my startup year, so I'm a little green, here! This has no doubt been discussed to death, but my searches came up empty! By my calculations, I'll need 6 15 Amp legs to power my controllers, and my total power draw, with everything on (for the final bump on the music) I'll be drawing close to 50 Amps! Would like to add 100 Amp service, but FPL won't replace ANYTHING for me! I've got 2/0 cable and existing 150 Amp service now, So far my choices are:1) Run a new 3/0 4/0 line to the pole, and add new box = $$$$$. 2) Add a few new breakers, no nighttime drying, baking, or pool pump etc. for Dec = Aggravation! 3) Reduce intensity of lights = not as gratifying ( or is it???) . 4) buy all LEDs =$$$$$. So what is the best way to go to power up all these lights? Already planning to buy controllers, lights, huge rolls of 14/3 SO, and SPT2, so any savings I NEED!

Thanks, and sorry to ask such basic questions;

OCJ

Maybe run a few extention cords to the neighbors' houses? I mean...they get enjoyment out of the lights, too! Why not let them contribute?

Seriously, this is a good question. I have not done a project yet, but in all my research and reading, the "power play" has always been in the back of my mind. Maybe someone with have better ideas than the one I suggested!

~K

OC Jerry wrote:

I've got 2/0 cable and existing 150 Amp service now

Remember that a 150 Amp service supplies 300 Amps for your lights... OK so maybe 290 Amps for the Christmas Lights and 10 Amps for the refrigerator and the rest of the house:]

Dan, I like the way you think! Yeah, that's 150 @ 220V =300A @ 110v. So...If i draw 50 A at 110v, that's really drawing like 25A from my 220v source. I wasn't sure if the main breaker was rated at 220 or 110. I feel so much better. If I had a light for every piece of paper I've used so far in planning my design, I could light up the whole town!

Thanks;

OCJ.

Interesting question. In my startup year, I did nothing, but I only had a few lights.

In the second year, I put out 12K with two 20 amp outlets. OK, but I want a few mega trees.

In 3rd yr, I added 400 amp service + upgraded house to 400 amp service, but ran out of time to place lights. Only put out 20 inflatables.

This year I will place underground service to all areas and have a very decent display.

The only reason I have not done a Light-O-Rama based display is because of the auto sequencing. Dan tells me he has fixed this and that even though I have a tin ear, the new software will be able to do this well. Knowing Dan and having spoken with him at PLUS, this is a done deal. This should be my Light-O Rama year. I will see in April.

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t think of your main breaker as 110 or 220.

Just a few thoughts. I’ve been decorating for over 20 years and have had to squeeze every amp that I can out of my 200-amp service. I assume (and you know how much trouble that can get you in) that you have 150-amp service going into a breaker box that has breakers on the left and right side of the box. If so, you have 150-amps on the right side and 150 on the left side. If you were to put 160-amps on one side and nothing on the other you would trip the main. However if you put 80 on each side, you would be in good shape!

Here are a few things my electrician has done for me over the years, but you really MUST have your wife’s cooperation to pull something like this off.

I only have two 220A breakers in my box, one on the left for the clothes dryer and one on the right for the cooking stove. My wife does NOT wash or dry clothes while the lights are on. My electrician put two dedicated 20A circuits on the same side as the clothes dryer. Also, our washing machine has a dedicated circuit. He replaced its breaker with a mini and added another 20A mini just underneath it.
I hope this helps.