Light-O-Rama Forums

InputPup Integration Questions

rescues54

I am working on integrating my InputPup into my display and I am creating a network using the LOR hardware that is not integrated into my home network.

I am using network jacks that will connect controllers in between home made enclosures. The situation that I am running into is as follows that I need assistance in troubleshooting:

• When I plug the InputPup into the USB485B, the InputPup turns on and sees the pulse from the software.
  • When I plug the InputPup directly into a controller on the network with a signal coming from the USB485B, the InputPup turns on and sees the pulse from the software.
  • When I plug the Input Pup into a network jack on the exterior of my enclosure, that is connected to the controller and ultimately connected to the USB485B, the InputPup does not see the pulse from the software.

Is this an issue of voltage drop and the InputPup needs to be connected directly to the USB485B or a controller on the network, or is the issue one of configuration?

If this is an issue of voltage drop, I know I can go directly from the Controller or the USB485B. Can I use an external power supply, achieve the same result and use the InputPup as I planned?

If I choose to not use an external power supply, what is the maximum distance in Cat5 Cable that I can put between the USB485B and the InputPup, or the controller and the InputPup?

Also, theoretically, should I choose to use an external power supply, could I use one of the ELL's to link the InputPup to the LOR network?

Since the current draw of an InputPup is pretty small, I would not think that cable length would be much of a problem.  When you plug in via the jack on your enclosure, does the InputPup power up and not see the network, or does it not power up at all?  That should help determine if you have a power problem or network problem.  Can you give us a little more detail on your network.  For example:  USB-RS485 adapter through 150 feet of Cat-5 to CTB16PC, then controller through 25 feet of Cat-5 to another CTB16PC controller, then through 50 feet of Cat-5 to a CMB24D controller, then 15 feet of Cat-5 to InputPup.  I'm currently leaning towards a wiring issue on your enclosures, but that's a guess.

BTW, I'm going to say this because this is your first post and I want to make sure of something.  You commented that you are using a network that is not integrated into your home network.  I can read that two ways.  One is that the LOR equipment is on a completely stand alone cable set that does not have any connectivity to an ethernet LAN.  The other is that you are using an ethernet LAN that is separate from your home network.  Please note that LOR uses RS-485 serial communication - NOT ethernet.  You CAN NOT plug the LOR network into any sort of ethernet router, switch, hub, or anything else.  You CAN do damage to hardware to either the RS-485 or the ethernet LAN equipment.

Where in LA are you?  I work in Glendale and live in Glendora.

Since the current draw of an InputPup is pretty small, I would not think that cable length would be much of a problem.  When you plug in via the jack on your enclosure, does the InputPup power up and not see the network, or does it not power up at all?  That should help determine if you have a power problem or network problem.  Can you give us a little more detail on your network.  For example:  USB-RS485 adapter through 150 feet of Cat-5 to CTB16PC, then controller through 25 feet of Cat-5 to another CTB16PC controller, then through 50 feet of Cat-5 to a CMB24D controller, then 15 feet of Cat-5 to InputPup.  I'm currently leaning towards a wiring issue on your enclosures, but that's a guess.

BTW, I'm going to say this because this is your first post and I want to make sure of something.  You commented that you are using a network that is not integrated into your home network.  I can read that two ways.  One is that the LOR equipment is on a completely stand alone cable set that does not have any connectivity to an ethernet LAN.  The other is that you are using an ethernet LAN that is separate from your home network.  Please note that LOR uses RS-485 serial communication - NOT ethernet.  You CAN NOT plug the LOR network into any sort of ethernet router, switch, hub, or anything else.  You CAN do damage to hardware to either the RS-485 or the ethernet LAN equipment.

Where in LA are you?  I work in Glendale and live in Glendora.

The InputPup does not power up at all, however when it is connected either directly to the USB485B or directly into one of the controllers, thru one of the jacks on my enclosure, it powers up and sees the network. The network is as follows (for Test Purposes): Computer, USB-485B, 3 Feet Cat-5, InputPup, 3 Feet Cat-5, Jack, 3 Feet Cat-5, CTB16PC, 3 Feet Cat-5, Jack.

My network is completely standalone and does not integrate any standard ethernet hardware (Routers/Switches/Etc)

I live and work in the West San Fernando Valley.

Off hand, I think you have a wiring issue.  Are you sure all your cables are straight through cables (not crossover).  If you bypass your enclosure jacks, and go directly from the USB-485B to the InputPup, then to the CTB16PC, does it work?

The cables are not crossover cables to my knowledge but I will have to make sure of that.

When I go through the jack to the controller and from the controller directly to the Input Pup, it works. However going from the the controller thru the jacks, it doesn't work. I will double check my wiring tonight but im sure everything seems to be fine because the controller sees the network going through the jacks.

I'm going to say you have a high possibility of a wiring error. Looking forward to your report..

Jim,

I was able to verify the wiring as correct and I was able to determine that the jacks were wired as per the instructions. The signal makes it through the jacks, but not the accessory power.

Its a very interesting issue that will require my finding a work around.

Thank you for your time.

James

I'm still gonna guess you have a wiring problem. If you want I can send you an E-Mail address and you can send photos of the wiring. The power should make it through just as well as the data.

I wanted to post a follow up as to what was discovered. After much research and investigation, the jacks that are on the outside of my enclosure were wired to the 568A Standard, not the 568B Standard. I have re-wired the jacks to the 568B Standard and the accessory power now functions as it should.

Thanks for that follow-up. Always nice when I can successfully help someone...