Light-O-Rama Forums

Ralph Deweil

Ralph D

Hi everyone, I wanted to post today because I didn't want to bother anyone with getting ready for the expo but I did want to let everyone know were I have been and whats going on with me and since this will be my last post for a while, well I really miss everyone and the planning for my show and all the things going into putting it together so I just wanted to updated everyone. Since January I have been posting  less and less. because In January I had lower back surgery and spent all of my time in physical therapy recovering and working towards getting back to work.  I did that but the docs and I noticed things were just not progressing for example my left hand at this point is totally numb and big portions of both my legs are numb in the bottom of my feet are totally numb still.  So back in May I had another MRI done looking at my upper cervical spine.  Back in the 80s I had a fusion done C3C4C5 because of an automobile accident I was in were I was hit by a drunk driver.  So what is happened simply stated this fusion in my neck has gone bad. back in the 80s they didn't have much knowledge about fusions yet I had what was called a bone graft fusion instead of the longer-lasting and more secure plates rods and screws fusion.  The fusion between C-3 and c4 has basically disintegrated and C3 has moved in towards the middle of my neck and is cut off the Doctors say over 75% of my spine on the bottom at C5 because of the additional stress and pressure between that disc and C6, C5 is moved outward also cutting off the spinal cord. So after getting four different opinions from what I feel are some of the brightest minds in medicine today, I ultimately had really no choice but to have another surgery.  If I do not have the surgery within the next months there is no doubt in any one of these doctors minds that my portion of my spinal column caught between these two discs would kill my spinal cord between these two discs and render me quadriplegic for the rest of my life.  So tomorrow morning Thursday, July 16th I will leave my house at 530, I'm going to a hospital here in New Jersey named Englewood Hospital I've collected a team of three different surgeons that together tell me the surgery is to stop any further damage to my spinal cord they are going to fuseC3 two C7, with plates rods and screws and because I've already had a fusion done which they entered through the front of my neck because of all the pressure and bone damage and fragmentation and also the enormous amount of scar tissue they will not be able to go in through the front this time but have to go in from the brainstem down to my shoulders from the back of my neck.  Unlike my first surgery in January I was released from the hospital same day, and happily went home.  This surgery I will be in the hospital from what they say a minimal of five days so I am praying I get released by Monday, July 20th.  If things do not progress the way they expect it to after those five days I will be moved to a rehabilitation center, BUT that is the last thing on my mind and I will be fighting harder than ever to recover quickly and be released to come home on Monday. so the recovery time,  I'm being told anywhere from 3 to 6 months before I'm allowed to work again, and a good year and a half to two years before I will feel myself again. so that's it that's everything happening with me I pray everything goes perfectly and also holding onto one hope that I can heal quick enough and work hard enough that I do not have to cancel my display this year, now I know some of you are thinking that's crazy and I am to but it's something in my head it gives me a goal to strive to I know without a doubt in my mind I will definitely not be on the roof and could get someone to do that for me but if I don't have to cancel my display this year that would make me feel that I'm really winning this battle, I know I'm crazy this is how I feel.  Reality tells me I probably won't be doing my show this year but I'm hoping to prove everyone wrong without risking any damage to my neck.  So when and if I can I hope to be updating this very soon with great news.  I hope everybody has a fantastic time at the showcase, I wish I could be there.  All the best everybody and I will check in as soon as I can.     

Ralph 

Christmas on Manhattan

Ralph,

Many prayers for you. Praying the surgeons are perfect and a speedy recovery. I pray especially that your pain goes down and your numbness goes away.

Daniel

Wishing the best for you and a speedy recovery. If I lived somewhere even remotely close to you, I'd be helping you come setup time. Lets hope you are able to get through this in a hurry and all comes out good!

:)
David

Ralph my friend, you know we're already praying for your surgery. Denise and I will be adding the recovery prayers too.

Just to give you a bit of good news to put a pep in your step, Denise asked the other day if we could visit New York. I'm not going to promise anything just yet, as you know what's going on with her. If her healing goes well, I might be able to talk her into making the trip this year. That said, we will need a tour guide and you are our choice. 

Tomorrow, make sure Joann sends me a text from time to time to let me know all is well during surgery. Our prayers are with you my friend. God speed and guide your surgeon's hands for a successful surgery. I'm with you in mind and spirit.

Good Luck to you,

Ron

Wishing you well Ralph!  Hope the surgery is successful and recovery complete!  Prayers said for you.

Ralph,

My prayers are with you for a successful operation and a speedy recovery. Hope your up and about in no time but don't try and over do it. The doctors know best.

Jim

We'll send healing energies your way Ralph,  and hope all goes very well and smoothly with your surgery and recovery process.   May you heal quickly and get back to your display for 2015.   If I lived anywhere near you I'd offer what helping hands I could to get your display up.   But afraid I'm just too far away.  Hopefully your neighbors that know about your current health issues and your display may offer you a helping hand in getting your 2015 display up and running.

Best wishes to you and your family during all this.

Just received a call from Ralph's daughter. She said the surgery went well. They're closing him up now and then he's off to recovery. Some fantastic news for Ralph's family and friends.

Thanks friends for all the prayers. I'm sure Ralph really does appreciate it.

Just received a call from Ralph's daughter. She said the surgery went well. They're closing him up now and then he's off to recovery. Some fantastic news for Ralph's family and friends.

Fantastic news!  Thanks for the update Ron!  Let the healing begin!

Great to hear the good report. Thanks Ron and speedy recovery Ralph.

Happy to hear he is doing well.

well good morning everyone.  First I want to say thank you to everyone.  This group of friends I have is truly a special one. so many of you went out of your way it is so greatly appreciated.  Yes as Ron stated the news he got was correct my surgery from what I'm told has been for what it was being done for. primarily the surgery was to stop any further decay of my spinal cord and the discs from C3 to C7. if I didn't have the surgery I was told I would without a doubt lose everything within months it was that critical.  so the good news in the Reader's Digest version of this very long story is.  I now have total use of my legs I can feel both legs all away around top to bottom I can feel my feet and control my toe which was not the case for a very long time, and as of the last year if not longer,  I lost total feeling in both legs and feet.  So I'm walking better than I have in 20 years I have my full gate back, which means your stride of how you walk, and the Dr. said it's such a good prognosis so far while I was in the hospital,  I might even with a lot of hard work in physical therapy to actually be able to jog and maybe even run again, so I am super stoked when I heard that news, again there is no promises made by my doctors but with a ton of hard work on my part who knows what the big guy upstairs has in store for me.  My upper body well I had some difficulties with my right arm and hand any time I moved my right arm above my shoulder my hand, fingers and arm ago totally numb this would also happen with my left hand but it is much more severe.  So my right hand has shown recovery so far.  My left arm and hand is about 75% of my right side my left arm is ok I can feel it and make movements with it and control it quite well my left hand my Palm I have regained some feeling back, haven't had that in a very long time. As for my fingers, my pinky, my ring finger  and my middle finger have gotten some feeling back.  my index finger and my thumb still have no feeling at all but I do have to say what little sensitivity I do have with those two fingers is more than I've had in a very long time so I think  with a lots of hard work over the unforeseeable future, I think I will be ok.   So that's that in a nutshell everybody. so when you will think everybody for the well wishes, only good things to come I'm sure of it.  And now I am in recovery load letting  my spine heal and also letting the swelling go down for about four weeks, then I hope to immediately get the go-ahead to start a hard-core physical therapy routine.  All said and done my one goal I'm keeping solid in my head to do all this for being able to set up my display, everyone has a goal everyone has something to look forward to that keeps them going, well this is mine. listen there are truly many other reasons I have for wanting to be able to walk and use my hands and be with my family and children that is truly my number one reason for fighting.  My Christmas lights that's my personal thing I love doing this and return smiles and thank you cards I get every year make me feel all that much better.  So my personal goal is I want to get healthy enough to put my lights up this year.  Now I realize it might not happen but i'm going to work really hard in hopes I get the okay to put the display up. 

Thanks everyone for your concerns and well wishes.

Ralph

That is fantastic news Ralph!  Sounds like things are well on the way to a great recovery.  I look forward to hearing progress reports and hopefully get to see a video or a photo or two of your Christmas display.  All the sequencing and planning will be good mental therapy and keep your spirits high through the physical therapy sessions.  Perhaps local family/friends can help you assemble the display (especially that which goes up high).  So glad you are doing well and wish you success through the coming months.  A new lease on life and I feel certain you will enjoy every bit of it.

Tom

• The topic was locked