Light-O-Rama Forums

How to do this......

Jeff Messer

Maybe Darryl could share it with us Mike. I know how to use your time and money now I might have to buy some LOR controllers to pull this off. Checking all the channel count now.

Darryl - Is that two separate rows of icicles, a top and a bottom string to make it jump?

Yes

Heres a screen cap with all other channels removed

post-4140-0-86394600-1435459981_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Thanks Darryl - Jeff and I greatly appreciate that.

I have soooooooooooo much roof line... It will look stunning when I make this happen.

Now I am glad I bought the extra cases of icicles last year.

I use blue and white. I should have enough to do this.

Thank You Darryl....   Now I spent some of Mike's Time this morning.  Haha

Lights ordered, Channels set, draw in visualizer and I am broke again. Digging in wife's pocket book now and will ask for forgiveness tomorrow. LOL....

Haha.....

If you suspect that the answer will be no.

It's better to ask for forgivness then to beg for permission. :D

She fixed me a cup of coffee and walked out to the shop with it. Si it was my opportunity to discuss it with her. First thing she said was HOW MUCH. I said around 500 bucks and she said that will be my birthday present. I am good to go now I hope. I did not tell her I have ordered the lights already. She will see the checking account in the morning.... LOL

Watching all the videos now and sequencing it up. Instead of C9's I will use pixelbulbs to give it that extra pop.

Instead of C9's I will use pixelbulbs to give it that extra pop.

The screencap I posted was from 2 seasons ago. Last year my C9's were replaced with pixabulbs.

I just figured it was easier to show the sequencing with the C9's

Worked perfect for me Sir. I had pixelbulbs last year outlining the roof on top so I will flip them to the gutter this year. Roof is full this year with the matrix. Thanks again for all the help on this everyone.

I stumbled across this effect simply by accident with my setup.  I have 3 strings of C6's and a string of icicles hanging from the same plane along the roof line.  The "jump" or drop effect is pretty dramatic and I couldn't be happier with the way it looks.

Hey Jeff, found the thread! LOL

Here's the story I know behind the jumping icicle effect....

Bill Vaughn of collingwoodlights.com (video in first post) gets the credit from me for the jumping icicles. He is a longtime member of the forums and one of the first to pull off the effect I believe.

A few years ago in a PC LOR forum discussion John Storms of listentoourlights put together a reproduction of Bill's effect in his garage. Here's his video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAnsfDo33gw

That video is the same way Bill did it with a string of minis along the top of the icicles. I took John's timing grid and fades he used in the video and input them on my sequence. Difference is I used C9s as my top layer and put a 4" space between them and the icicles by hanging the icicles below the gutter. You can see that here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTjt_ak5xOo&feature=youtu.be&t=1h38m25s

I just compiled many other's ideas (and a few original ideas along the way). Bill Vaughn (Collingwood Lights), John Storms (Listentoourlights), Clyde Lindsey (Leechburg Lights), and Nicholas Watkins (Lights for Riley) all have parts of their sequences in mine.

If you want to download...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_v49cLcLFYZjlNblh4ckNWTG8/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the thread,
Victor Johnson
Lightinguppaxton.com

Mr. Johnson,

Thanks for sharing and thanks for all your great videos and walkthroughs.  You do good work.

Much appreciated..........Burt

OMG.. Thank You Mr.Johnson for sharing this information with us. The effect and write up is perfect and I sure hop I can make this happen at the house this year. Once again Than You.

Jeff

Worked perfect for me Sir. I had pixelbulbs last year outlining the roof on top so I will flip them to the gutter this year. Roof is full this year with the matrix. Thanks again for all the help on this everyone.

Curious about your roof matrix.  Will it be laying flat on the roof or are you elevating?  I am planning mine to lay on the roof.  Have seen a couple ideas for mounting -- curious as to how you will mount to your roof.  Temporary/permanent mountings?  I'm thinking permanent snap-in clamps affixed to the roof.  Just want to make sure I don't end up with multiple leaks.  Hoping sealer in with the screws will seal everything.  But always open to other ideas.  Thanks!

I have installed wood brackets at the ends of the peak and the same at the bottom of the roof. On the back side I installed 4 of them. I use the green clothes line wire between the peak, then one between the bottom two brackets. The four at the back will only be to hold the peak clothes line stable so it does not sag. Zero holes in the roof doing it this way. All the weight will be laying on the roof and the emt will be zip tied to the clothes line wire at the top and bottom. Hope this helps...If you need a picture just message me.

Well now that I have seen it on several video's I will attempt to recreate the effect on my show this year. I have seen single icicles and double icicles. I will try the single first and if I don't like it I will add the second one and test it. Either way I feel sure I can pull this effect off now. If I don't get it just right I will blame Mike... Haha

If I don't get it just right I will blame Mike... Haha

I'd thought you'd blame me. :)