Light-O-Rama Forums

I want to go from s4 back to s3

roverdish

I wish to go back to my s3 software. I am being instructed to uninstall s4 to do this.

Question is am I going to lose anything including all the sequences and settings I previously made in s3 when I do the uninstall?

thanks

Chip

No, you should not lose anything, however I would make sure you files are backed up.  Of course you should be backing up your work in any case...

I believe any Visualizer props that were built in S4 will not work in S3. It is supposed to create a back-up of each prop, but I don't remember where to.

Also, While S3 will make a best effort to open a sequence created in S4, there are no guarantees that it can do so.  If you experience an error opening a sequence previously saved in S4, you will need to use a backup of that sequence.

If you saved an S3 Visualizer file with S4 after version (I believe) 4.0.04 then a backup file was created with an extension of .bakxxxx where xxxx is a number from 0001 on up.  For example

Saving a file called "ccp_test.lee" that was created in S3 with S4 will create a backup called "ccp_test.lee.bak0001" (or bak0002 if 0001 existed, etc...)

• 3 weeks later...

None of my sequences were created in S4. As soon as I realized all my dmx RGB props created in S3 were not working in S4 I went back to the S3 software. I need the extra fixture space allowed in s4 to expand my display.

Chip

Edited by roverdish

None of my sequences were created in S4. As soon as I realized all my dmx RGB props created in S3 were not working in S4 I went back to the S3 software. I need the extra fixture space allowed in s4 to expand my display.

Chip

1 - I didn't say 'created' I said 'saved'.  There is a big difference.

2 - Anything you did in S3 should work just fine in S4, including your RGB DMX props.  You probably failed to take some of the new set up steps needed (like ensuring the listener was running).  if you want to take advantage of the new features of S4, you may need to redo certain things to take advantages of those features.

None of my sequences that I created and saved in S3 were ever saved into S4.  I noticed when I attempted to play back sequences created and saved in S3 that all the RGB DMX props were no longer working in the visualizer with the S4 software. Also the sequences created and saved in SuperStar using the S3 software also failed to play back the RGB DMX portion of the display within the SuperStar when the S4 software was added. I attempted to create a sequence in Superstar using the S4 software with the same result. RGB DMX imported from the visualizer were not working.

Which things must be "redone" to take advantage of the new features in S4?

I am willing to do the work.

As DevMike stated, in S4, you "MUST" have the Listener program running for the DMX to display on the visualizer. Sometimes known as the monitor or the Tray is running. If you don't see the DMX listener running on the task bar, your DMX in tthe Visualizer will not run.

you are probably correct. I don't recall having the listener running when I was testing in s4. I will reload s4 And attempt to run my visualizer and let you know. thanks to everyone for all the help.

1 - I didn't say 'created' I said 'saved'.  There is a big difference.

2 - Anything you did in S3 should work just fine in S4, including your RGB DMX props.  You probably failed to take some of the new set up steps needed (like ensuring the listener was running).  if you want to take advantage of the new features of S4, you may need to redo certain things to take advantages of those features.

Couldn't agree with DevMike more here. I've spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting S3 to S4 issues with no output to LOR or RGB lights, only to find out I forgot to turn the listener on. Some people never learn(me) :)