Light-O-Rama Forums

Why We Do It.

Dcroc

So tired of seeing all the people on Great Christmas light shows talk about how they do it "to bring a smile to kids".  I'm calling BS.  I do it because I am a show off. I'm a performer from the day I was born. I use to play in a band, and I still have a need to create, and to have a spot light on me. The only reason I give a **** about the neighborhood kids is because I need an audience. Tell the wife, and the news crew, anything you want about "bringing smiles to the young faces", but I firmly believe we all do it because we are simply showing off.

• Like 2

I don't know if I'm like anyone else here but for me it is more about the reaction I get from the people than anyhting else. Sometimes I'm in my garage & I hear the people outside, I can tell by their oohs & laughter that it's their first time seeing the display, and it literally gives me goosebumbs.

I'm in a fairly small town where just about everybody knows my house but very few know it's me. I don't shy away from the publicity but I definately don't seek it out either. I don't post videos of the display except for the first couple of years. Now I just let the puplic do it for me.

It's not really about showing off to me but doing something perfect. I've always been like that, I'm sure I have OCD, never been diagnosed but I'm sure I have a touch. Whether it's carving a pumpkin or fixing something in the house I try to make it PERFECT. Is that showing off? I don't think so but some may disagree.

• Like 2

I do it cause my golf game sucks.

Or does my golf game suck because of this time consuming money pit of a hobby?

Really - it has to bring you pleasure either by doing the props or doing the sequencing or by others watching your finalized show or some form of all of it. If it doesn't bring you some satisfaction or pleasure in some manner - quit and go golfing or something else.

• Like 3

I do it cause my golf game sucks.

Or does my golf game suck because of this time consuming money pit of a hobby?

LOL

I do it because I enjoy it.  I enjoy putting lights out.  I enjoy standing across the street and walking up and down the block looking at the lights.  I enjoy standing at the window and looking outside at the lights.  I enjoy working on props, especially when they're finished and in the testing phase.  I enjoy sequencing.  I enjoy burning one and then sitting back and watching a couple of PF tunes.  I enjoy hearing Sharon tell me what a genius I am.  I enjoy watching my grandkids standing still as a statue with big smiles stretched across their faces.  I enjoy seeing lines of cars stretched out of sight.  Did I mention that I enjoy sequencing?  I enjoy the questions people ask. followed by their looks of disbelief.   I enjoy putting all the puzzle pieces together, along with the feeling of satisfaction when I track down a problem. I enjoy knowing my Christmas light display is probably somewhere in the top 1% in the country.  And I enjoy seeing my golf clubs slowly rotting away in the garage rather than embarrassing me out on the course.

• Like 2

I do it because I enjoy it, I also do it because I have the ability And means to do it and not everyone does. But I've got to tell you are working on it all year buy the time it's setup and tested I'm fried. But that first like kid who comes up and says thank you gets me remotivated and I usually don't make it to the Middle of January before starting all over again,

George you enjoy sequencing, wish i could say they same. My favorite is prop building. You have an extra stong case of the CLAP lol

Here is my example of telling the news crew its about showing off.   1:10

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1

I do it because { Steve Urkel voice applied } Did I do That !!!!!   Haha

• Like 2

Here is my example of telling the news crew its about showing off.   1:10

You are my new Hero!  Love Halloween so much more than Christmas.

I love the honesty on this thread. So, am I alone in hating the "I do it for the smiles on the kids" prefab lines they use on Great Christmas Light Fight?  Just not reality on what is suppose to be "reality TV".  It's like watching a Miss America show, "I do it for World peace".  For once, I would love to see someone on that show say "I do it because I am the coolest person on Earth, and I want everyone to know it", or maybe even "I do it to [Foul Language Used] off the wife and neighbors".

Edited by Dcroc

I do it for the combination of fun and that my kids (and their friends) love it. My house has become a (very small scale) destination for folks that have come to enjoy it. We have a driveway gathering for the kick off show for family and friends. So it's just become an enjoyable activity for me. There is only one neighbor across the way that doesn't seem to like it. So I named my new controller in his honor

I must admit I did the lights for me and me alone until this past year, until an almost 3 year old little girl smiled at her grandpa, yep, I don't do it for me anymore, I do it for her. What a putz.......

• Like 1

I must admit I did the lights for me and me alone until this past year, until an almost 3 year old little girl smiled at her grandpa, yep, I don't do it for me anymore, I do it for her. What a putz.......

This thread has become something like

"True confessions of a Lighter".

I'm calling BS....lol.

I do it more because I find the technology cool and I like to see what I accomplished.  It's nice to see someone else enjoying it, but I can stand out there and watch it over and over and over and then a few more time, and then repeat the next night.  I can't tell you how many times I have gone outside to watch the 32 lights for my year round landscaping come on when it gets dark or partially off in the late evening, or even shutdown in the morning (and there are only 8 lights on for that).

Love building the props,

Love getting it all setup and working,

Hate sequencing

• Like 2

Ok...my confession....Loved Christmas lights since I was a wee lad.. (Queens NY)Dad strung a strand of C9's around our front window (25  lights) and I was thrilled... Move forward to 2007, I see Holdmans light show on youtube and that brought me to where I am today..Yes I did it for Me!!!! Never realizing it would become what it has today in our own "little" world..Yes I am THE house at Christmas Time and I love it!!! 

We probably all have some type of "entertainer" gene we were born with and this was the perfect outlet...oh by the way Dcroc...maybe like you this was the reason

I think I do it because it looks nice, its different than most everyone else's homes with static displays and yes, it puts smiles on the kid's faces and most adults too. I enjoy bringing a bit of Christmas Spirit in my own little way. If I've brightened someone's day/evening through my light show, so be it. Showing off is not what I do at all and I offer freely to help anyone I can. I find that most people can't comprehend how we accomplish our shows and all the work involved but most don't come to see that part of it, rather just the results. What I fear happening is that people think our shows are being done using the Mr. Christmas box, then they waste their money and wonder how or why it doesn't look as nice.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm like anyone else here but for me it is more about the reaction I get from the people than anyhting else. Sometimes I'm in my garage & I hear the people outside, I can tell by their oohs & laughter that it's their first time seeing the display, and it literally gives me goosebumbs.

I'm in a fairly small town where just about everybody knows my house but very few know it's me. I don't shy away from the publicity but I definately don't seek it out either. I don't post videos of the display except for the first couple of years. Now I just let the puplic do it for me.

It's not really about showing off to me but doing something perfect. I've always been like that, I'm sure I have OCD, never been diagnosed but I'm sure I have a touch. Whether it's carving a pumpkin or fixing something in the house I try to make it PERFECT. Is that showing off? I don't think so but some may disagree.

I mirror that too.  Up until this past year I had no picture or video of ME.  No one in my town would know who I was or what I did for Christmas with the exception of my friends and family.  I always get a thrill when I overhear someone's conversation about my house with me standing right there and them not knowing what my connection was!  So to address those other comments,  No, I don't do it to get attention.  Hell, If I wanted attention, I wouldn't have turned down the Christmas Light Fight for the first year.

Have you ever driven on a highway and seen a house nearby and questioned yourself, “I wonder who lives there?” I have and I found myself purchasing a house near a highway. I've always wanted to have an outside decorated house for Christmas growing up but my family lived in apartments. Maybe I’m making up for lost opportunities or maybe I have a hobby that’s gone overboard. I fondly remember my dad getting us in the car when I was young and driving around looking for decorated homes. The whole family had a great time and its nice to pass that along to new families. My dad passed away 3 years ago and he loved seeing how my house kept growing and glowing each year. My mom moved in with me in December 2014 and she really gets into it and tells everyone that she knows Santa. She loves it when taxi drivers know the house and ask her all about it. They tell her that they come by even without their families while on the job just to sit and watch the show.

Although you can no longer see the house from the highway now that the noise barrier has been completed, you’re still welcome to drive by to see the show if you're in the area!