Light-O-Rama Forums

Drone Recommendations

jfuller8400

I have to second godman about the Phantom 3.  It's so awesome!  Now I really just need to take the time to learn all the ins and outs of it.

The friendly little members of PETA decided this year to harass, even though it is illegal, a bunch of us while we were out Goose hunting. They decided to use drones. Really bad idea messing with guys like me out on the woods when we have weapons. You would be amazed at what a 12 guage will do to one of those things.

to bad they didn't show up in person

I dont know why I like the Typhoon better than the p3. Guess it just everything is all in one package.

Edited by Jeff Messer

to bad they didn't show up in person

Was not my first run in with them, back on 05 i received a letter from them, they informed me that i was now on their top 10 most wanted list for Oregon. I was told that when they are in control, they will issue a warrant for my arrest and try me for multiple counts of murder. Number one, they dont like it when ya sabotage their vehicles so they cant chase you around thew woods, and they really do not like it when ya send them pictures of fish and wild life that you have harvested. I was just trying to show them how happy i was.

I would love to get one, but with all the other things i have to build for next year, not sure i will have the money. Most of the stuff i need to buold will be inexpensive, ,wood and paint and such, but the $1000 i need to spend on dumb RGB nodes, controllers and PSU's is gonna hurt.

I don't have a drone but my friend does and like k6ccc said I was amazed how stable that camera was when he filmed his display. I did not realize it was a drone until he went up, up, up. He has p3. He was going to film my display last week but he said his battery caught fire (or almost) while charging.

I don't know anything about them, does this happen sometimes?

I am seriously surprised at what the range with the P3 is. Saw a video where i get went 3 miles out with it. Of course he had 100% line of sight.

I don't have a drone but my friend does and like k6ccc said I was amazed how stable that camera was when he filmed his display. I did not realize it was a drone until he went up, up, up. He has p3. He was going to film my display last week but he said his battery caught fire (or almost) while charging.

I don't know anything about them, does this happen sometimes?

There have been reports of the batteries catching fire. These are the new Lipo batteries. I have a P2 and I will not charge my batteries unless I am around to watch them or I lay them in the middle of the floor in my shop or outside.

Wayne

I was given the option of Drone or Pixels. I took the drone first and then I know how to get the pixels. I need 4 extra batteries for the drone which cost around 500.. Haha There is my pixel money...... I will always need something for the drone.. LOL

I was just reminded why I dont have Facebook.... to much long winded bs to try to possibly read something or see something interesting on them... 

AMEN! I hate facebook.

Mike

Vince4xmas, That's the one i have q500 4k shipped and it will be here Thursday. Then I will start on the pixel order. 

I did read the p3 got greater distance out the box.  The q500 can be ramped up for a great distance if the correct information was given on youtube. LOL

Happy New Year All!

FWIW, I have a Phantom 3 Professional and love it! I took some video and stills on the last night of my display and was amazed at the quality of the images and performance of the drone. The aerial perspective is incredible.

It was a little windy but the P3 was remarkably steady. It was very easy to fly. I wish I had practiced a bit more because the motion wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. I also should have experimented with the manual exposure settings on the camera. The changing brightness of the lights caused some exposure issues.

If you can, get an extra battery or two. Also figure out a way to keep them from getting too cold. The P3 won't take off if the battery gets cold.

First picture is a frame grab from the 4K video taken at about 150 ft. The second is a still photo.

https://flic.kr/p/CKsHcc

https://flic.kr/p/BVfmNm

• 3 weeks later...

BLH8675 BLADE CHROMA RTF/4K C-GO3/ST-10T

The above drone is what a friend of mine recommends. He also has a Phantom 3 but prefers the Blade Chroma. He is a surveyor that uses them in his surveying business. He thinks it's easier to fly.

Good to know. We have a local hobby shop going out of business because the owner is retiring. Everything is on sale and they have a couple of the blade chromas