Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up E1.31 with router/hub

Dcroc

Picked up an Alphapix 4.  I only have one Ethernet port on my computer, and pull the sequences/audio files from another computer on my home network.  Is there a way to set up a router or hub (I have both laying around) so that the computer can stay on the home network, but still control the Alphapix?  I would imagine the lan line would go into the router, and then to the computer.  The Alphapix card would then also plug into the router?  Do I need to plug the card directly into the computer to assign an IP first? Setting up DMX with a dongle was easy, but this seems a bit more involved.

Also, are there any drivers I need to load for the Alphapix?  Can't really find any info on that.

Edited by Dcroc

If you type in "router' in the search box at the top of the forums,

you'll find a number of past threads on e1.31/routers/hubs

You may still want to search the forum related to this topic...several posts about e1.31 configuration and flooding your ISP with data packets... If possible keep your show PC off the same network you use for internet access while your shows are running. Things will run smoother while using the internet.

Edited by dgtlpro

My computer only has 1 TCPIP port as well which I want dedicated to the GB Switch, which connects to the E1.31 controllers( in my case, via wireless). In order to get around the issue with the internet, I plugged in a USB wireless which connects to the wireless home network, which has the internet on it. Someone has posted the commands needed to separate the two environments therefore directing traffic as in, which gets E1.31 traffic and which gets internet traffic. I don't know the commands this second.

Since I dedicated a card to E1.31, I should, in theory, be able to just run it to a simple hub with no need for a router, correct?

Speed of the data being shared across the dedicated network for E1.31 is why I use a GBSwitch instead of just a router

Just wondering where you guys keep your GB switch, was thinking of putting it in an enclosure outside, only have 1 cable out the window

Gigabit is not all that needed, but a switch is a strong preference over a hub.  Also setting up the E1.31 stuff as unicast rather than multicast.

The only thing I run on my network at Gigabit is the connection between the switches.  Everything else is 100Base-T.  Even with 10 universes, the switch showed the loading so low on the chart it could hardly be detected.  Each universe will result in about 250K bits per second. 

Looking through my vast collection of parts from the past, I found a 5 port switch. It's brand new, and still in the box, filed under "things I will never need again". Guess you never know. This is exactly why I don't like to throw away computer/network parts.

• Like 1