Light-O-Rama Forums

Renaming Channels In Bulk

thedementedelf

I'm going to guess the answer to this is no, but just in case I am wrong.....is there a way to change channels in bulk instead of one at a time.  Right now i have 150 rgb channels named like this....Mega U1 1  Mega U 2  etc....I want to change the names to 1,2 etc.

Do a search and replace on the sequence in a text editor such as Notepad ++.

Beware it's easy to break the file, An errant space or lack of will make the file unreadable.

Backup first.

Sometimes needs a bit of practice. Try a change and check the seq still opens in SE before going on.

By the way  BACKUP.

I'm actually trying to do the same thing. I'm finding that the default names they went in with are way to generic to find for the visualizer.

So I wrote a PERL script that goes line by line, finds the pattern match in the channel element and does the swap. I can get a good match using the DMX universe/channel as a double check. This works well for the R, G, B channel, but the RGB group channel is a little trickier since it is just the name. I'm going to try assuming the RGB group channel always come after the R, G, B channels.

Originally, I did this to renumber the DMX Universe/Channel for one of my elements that I wanted to move, but had done a ton of work on (groups and such) in another track. Worked very well for that.