Light-O-Rama Forums

How can I improve?

Arteom

I have attached a picture of my display (2014). It was my best display to date (11K, 100% LED, $10 for Electricity :)). I have moved away from AirBlown inflatables and Yard Reindeers for a more modernist look. The actual white strands of the house occupied all channels of my Light O rama, whilst the rest was static. Im my personal opinion it looked contemporary, substantial, but not overdone (If thats even possible). 

However, I keep getting the feeling it was not "just right". Some essence was missing. This year I have purchased a few hundred boxes of Multi LEDs, as I feel the house was too bland with all the white. I have also purchased two 9' trees to go on either side of the 12' tree in the center, around which I will add large presents, and a Merry Christmas Sign so people may take pictures; but what else?

I would love your suggestions as to how you would improve this display. I really want it to turn heads.

Thanks!

IMG_3173_zpssnulsend.jpg

I have attached a picture of my display (2014). It was my best display to date (11K, 100% LED, $10 for Electricity :)). I have moved away from AirBlown inflatables and Yard Reindeers for a more modernist look. The actual white strands of the house occupied all channels of my Light O rama, whilst the rest was static. Im my personal opinion it looked contemporary, substantial, but not overdone (If thats even possible).

However, I keep getting the feeling it was not "just right". Some essence was missing. This year I have purchased a few hundred boxes of Multi LEDs, as I feel the house was too bland with all the white. I have also purchased two 9' trees to go on either side of the 12' tree in the center, around which I will add large presents, and a Merry Christmas Sign so people may take pictures; but what else?

I would love your suggestions as to how you would improve this display. I really want it to turn heads.

Thanks!

IMG_3173_zpssnulsend.jpg

It's always up to personal taste and of course - budget. As we've said - some arches across the front. But then would you want 1color arches or RGB? However much you want to spend, this is the hobby that will take all the $$$ you want to throw at it.

I know a smart rgb based mega tree is on my wish list. From past threads, appear

that they are a fan favorite in many displays.

RGB arches would look really good. Your display looks very clean and neat. RGB arches with vibrant colors would really stand out.

I know a smart rgb based mega tree is on my wish list. From past threads, appear

RGB arches would look really good. Your display looks very clean and neat. RGB arches with vibrant colors would really stand out.

I am trying to stay away from adding any RGB for the moment, I feel like I must learn to properly walk before I try and run. Arches do seem interesting, but not very cost effective. The lights arent the problem, a single controller would only be good for a maximum of two arches, all factors considered thats $100 an arch more or less. In the future thats definitely a possibility. Also, I have decided to add those "disco" light globes behind the eaves of the house, connected to the LOR to give a few stars of color every now and again. 

IMO you need more stuff in the yard, arches maybe???

Agreed, I want to make large balls, I haven't figured out how to make them such that I can easily store them. 

Mini trees up front. Maybe some fire sticks with stars on top in the middle of the yard with the same stuff you have in the back.to give a little depth. Looks good tho.

Edited by Cdanna77

Hmm.... I like this Mini tree idea being thrown around. Any ways I can make some mini trees that are collapsible/ stackable? 

You can buy a cheap collapsible small Christmas tree. I have seen them, they go flat. Or you could make a spiral one with some kind of extending pole in the middle to bring it up or down??????????? Seems a bit confusing.

I am trying to stay away from adding any RGB for the moment, I feel like I must learn to properly walk before I try and run. Arches do seem interesting, but not very cost effective. The lights arent the problem, a single controller would only be good for a maximum of two arches, all factors considered thats $100 an arch more or less. In the future thats definitely a possibility. Also, I have decided to add those "disco" light globes behind the eaves of the house, connected to the LOR to give a few stars of color every now and again. 

Agreed, I want to make large balls, I haven't figured out how to make them such that I can easily store them. 

A single controller can easily run 3 arches with some creative planning, all you need is more cords, you can run 3 9CH arches and still have 7 channels left for more stuff. You'd just be limited to all the arches doing the same thing.

IMO you need more stuff in the yard, arches maybe???

Lor RGB is simple, runs on the same network. Last year I picked up a set of CCP's from the spring sale for $169.00, then made 4 arches from them. It's more cost effective to make the RGB arches over standard arches

Not true,  I did 5 arches of seven channels with one controller.    Three arches in the back and two arches in the front.  The front 2 were set so they split the back 3.   Hope that makes sense.

Lor RGB is simple, runs on the same network. Last year I picked up a set of CCP's from the spring sale for $169.00, then made 4 arches from them. It's more cost effective to make the RGB arches over standard arches

Very true. CCPs, as they are RGB can be any color, so you can keep that uniform whitish yellow with accents of multicolored lights

Not true,  I did 5 arches of seven channels with one controller.    Three arches in the back and two arches in the front.  The front 2 were set so they split the back 3.   Hope that makes sense.

I too use multiple arches on one controller to maximize the spend. In my show you can see the (4) 8 channel front yard arches, the (2) 8 channel spikes and the 16 channel sidewalk walk-under MEGA ARCH. Thanks to LED lights and SPT cord, all of these props are tied to (1) controller. Nobody watching my show knows, well except all of you who are reading this...

Here's a sample -

https://youtu.be/gBg4SJtEEHc

People watching the show probably do not notice, and don't really care. It saves channels and makes sequencing easier.

The viewers don't care about how it works, how many channels, how many amps, LEDs or incans. They just want it to look good. Only some people want notice things like that.

I've never thought about connecting two, three or more arches together in a single channel group, I always figured the main point was so they can dance from one edge of the yard to the other? Maybe I'll make four, and put a pair on each edge of the yard. 

Economically, 1983ss454 brought up an interesting issue. It might very well be cheaper to make CCR arches than to buy another LOR controller and wrap PVC. Thats before mentioning the fact of multiple colors/ effects.

I love all the ideas thus far. Really creative thought going into these displays. As far as the mini trees, I want them to be "green", I have a bunch of garland, maybe do something like a tomato cage with the garland on the outside? I don't understand how I would make them storge friendly though. 

People watching the show probably do not notice, and don't really care. [...]

The problem is I notice, and sadly, I care... alot. Im a little OCD. :D

Number one what you have looks great. adding to it is what makes this so much fun. you could add megga arches or mini arches, mini trees and a megga or pixel megga tree would look great in any yard. you also could help by adding lights around the boarder of your yard too, maybe a few wire frames in the yard. I like thinking ahead and lookimng at my space and put together sections.

Ralph