Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Data Rates?

bob_moody

Does anyone know the rate at which LOR sends udp packets?

For example, if the timing grid is set for 0.05, does it send the packets once every 1/20th of a second (50ms) or does it send the same packet twice (1/40th of a second, every 25ms)? 

Bob

It will send no faster than once every 23 milliseconds, which corresponds to something like 43 or 44 frames per second (assuming nothing causes it to send slower).

Bob beat me to the punch.  I have watched my E1.31 traffic using WireShark many times. For each universe, a 680 byte packet is sent every 23 mSec.  There is a bunch of header and addressing information, and 512 bytes of data.  Each channel gets one byte of data that specifies the level between 0 and 255.  It does not make any difference how many channels are used or the levels being used.  Nor does it make any difference how many universes are used.  For example, as I type this, there are two universes sending data for my landscaping lighting (despite it being about 2:00 in the afternoon and there are no lights on).  For Christmas 2014 there were 10 universes used, and it was the same 23 mSec between packets - except there were ten 680 byte packets every 23 mSec instead of two packets as there are today.  For Christmas 2015 there will be several more.

For data flow, that comes out to 29 to 30 K bytes per second (depending if that particular second has 43 or 44 packets sent).  Since data rates are normally expressed as bits per second rather than bytes per second, that makes about 235K bites per second - don't try this over your dial-up modem!  Not a real issue over a LAN - unless you are trying to run a lot of E1.31 over a slow wireless... 

BTW, this is per universe.

Edited by k6ccc

When I got home I fired up Wireshark.

I had 3 universes transmitting. I dropped two from the network config so I only had the one to contend with.

Verified 23 to 24 mSec for each packet.

At idle (no sequence running) it is transmiting continuous zero filled packets (OFF) and each packet contains the data for a full universe.

I appreciate the info guys..

Bob