Light-O-Rama Forums

Am I eligible for S4 or do I pay

caniac

this is my status:

LOR Feature Level: Advanced
SuperStar Feature Level: 2_CCR
Max Version: 3.18.* (and any future versions released by January 24, 2016)

Assuming that it gets released before January 24 2016, you would be covered at the advanced license level.

Actually.....

Since S4 is a major release, it may or may not be covered by your existing license.  S4 > S3.18 so your license may not be good for it.

Now, with all THAT said, we have not yet released any information on S4 licensing.  Any/All of that is subject to change.  All any of us can do right now is speculate.

Actually.....

Since S4 is a major release, it may or may not be covered by your existing license.  S4 > S3.18 so your license may not be good for it.

Now, with all THAT said, we have not yet released any information on S4 licensing.  Any/All of that is subject to change.  All any of us can do right now is speculate.

Mike; in the post Dan said cost would be $0 to $50, at least he said that in the announcement for S4 beta.

If you want access to th new pixel editor you will need to upgrade your license to the new pro level, $50. This will also give you a license renewal.

At least thats the way I interpret what Dan said.

Ok,

I don't have Superstar anything....

I have Advanced Edition 3.12.2 version.

Do we have any idea what I would have to pay????

Ok,

I don't have Superstar anything....

I have Advanced Edition 3.12.2 version.

Do we have any idea what I would have to pay????

Check your current license to see when it needs to be renewed.

To quote what Dan said in another post:

When S4 production code is released, if your S3 license was issued, upgraded or renewed more than a year earlier, then you have two options: you can renew your license for $29.95 or you can upgrade your license from its current level to a higher level which gives you a free renewal. The new Pro license level will be a $50 upgrade for S3 Advanced users.

Check your current license to see when it needs to be renewed.

To quote what Dan said in another post:

Renewed?  First time that I have learned they had to be renewed. Put mine in on the website (had to Google that..... BTW, here it is; http://lightorama.com/licenseCheck.html )

This is what mine said when I put it in;

License Status Summary

Your license covers the latest version, 3.12.*. There is no reason to renew your license at this time.

Details

SuperStar Feature Level: Demo

Max Version: 3.15.*

>>>>So that being said, if I am reading his announcement right....it should not cost me anything to go into S4 Pro...correct?

There should be a date there as well. If that date is *after* S4 is released into production, then you'll be able to run S4 at the Advanced license level.

The way I read the announcement is s4 pro is going to cost a minimum of $50 for anyone who has advanced level software. So even if you are authorized a new upgrade to s4, it would not include s4 pro.

Superstar is an add on. So it doesn't calculate into s4 pro. Brian has stated that superstar has minimum upgrades with s4.

S4 will come with a pixel editor. S4 pro is an add on for people with high counts of pixels. To me, it looks like a nutcracker type LOR add on. At least from the limited information I have seen.

For those of us with superstar, it looks like you can use this new sequencer or superstar but not both. Not at the same time at least. But, superstar will import your pixel editor screen instead of visualizer. Hopefully with the ability to import numerous pixels with the pro license.

Looking forward to beta. But I have my $50 in hand at the ready.

I have my $ in hand too.

But I am not reading that the pro would be $50.00 min.

What is this going to cost me?

An evaluation copy of the Beta is free if your license supports S3 version 3.12.2.  

The production code cost depends on your current license. The simple answer is $0.00 to $50.00. The not so simple answer: When S4 production code is released, if your S3 license was issued, upgraded or renewed in the last year then S4 will be free at your existing S3 license level. For example, when S4 is released, if you have a current “S3 Basic Plus” license that was issued, upgraded or renewed in the last year, then there is no cost for “S4 Basic Plus”.

When S4 production code is released, if your S3 license was issued, upgraded or renewed more than a year earlier, then you have two options: you can renew your license for $29.95 or you can upgrade your license from its current level to a higher level which gives you a free renewal. The new Pro license level will be a $50 upgrade for S3 Advanced users.

As I mentioned before, I had never heard of a license renewal before now. This may just be semantics and have no problem with the pricing as I said in the first of the post. Guess upgrade would be "Levels"...guess?  I just though as posted before it said "There is no reason to renew your license at this time." 

Sooooooo ....Mmmmmm.

Robert,

You mentioned that you have an Advanced License right now.

Let's assume for a moment that S4 is released in production (NOT BETA) on 09/01/2015. Let's also assume that your license will expire (which means unable to upgrade to the current version of software) on 09/02/15. Since S4 will have been released while your license was current, you will forever be able to run the initial version of S4, released (on the mythical date) 9/1/15. Since you have an Advanced License now, you will be able to run Advanced on S4.

HOWEVER

Suppose that your license is good through 9/2, and S4 is released on 9/15. Since your license was not current at the time S4 was released you would have to RENEW in order to run S4 Advanced.

2nd However - Sticking with the 9/2 and 9/15 dates above; suppose you want to move up to the new Pro level when it's released. Your cost to upgrade to the Pro license (based on Dan's posts) would be $50. As a bonus, this covers your renewal for another year. Yes, that's right, you're not going to have to pay two different fees. Just the upgrade from Advanced to Pro.

Along those same lines, on the 2nd However part, if all you want to do is renew your license, it would be $29.95.

All:

Note - Your license never expires! Only the ability to upgrade to the latest version. 

Ok Don,

That makes sense. Guess... I will be looking for the upgrade to pro. Looking forward to playing with the beta!

Actually.....

No, there are two different factors at play here.  This particular user's license covers anything up to 3.18.*, but it also covers anything released by January 24, 2016.  Doesn't matter if it's 3.19 or 3.20 or 3.40000 or 4.0 or 4.1 or 4.999 or 37.37; if it's released by January 24, 2016, their current license covers it.

And to be clear about the level (Basic / Advanced / Pro / whatever): The license will remain an Advanced license (unless an upgrade is purchased).  During a certain period of time (the "beta period") immediately after the release, it will act as if it were a Pro license, but after that time is up, it will go back to acting like the Advanced license that it actually is (again, unless an upgrade is purchased).

There should be a date there as well. If that date is *after* S4 is released into production, then you'll be able to run S4 at the Advanced license level.

Your license covers the latest version, 3.12.*. There is no reason to renew your license at this time.

Details

There is no date below mine ?  Just like Robert Burton

So what does that mean?

Details

There is no date below mine ?  Just like Robert Burton

So what does that mean?

That means that your "and any future version released by such-and-such-a-date" date is already in the past.

What is the difference between the s4 advanced and the s4 pro?

From Dan's post:

What is the new Pro license level?

One of the major changes to the S4 software is enhanced support for high channel counts (10s of thousands) that are found in displays with many RGB pixels. The Pro license level gives you access to the new and powerful Pixel Editor. It also supports a new and efficient method for storing, transmitting and managing pixel data.

Thanks Don. Remember that now :-)

Money in hand. Ready to pay 8-)

Let's get this party started!