Light-O-Rama Forums

WIN2K and 1.6.1

ranger_391xt

Hello,

Last Year I ran my show with version 1.5 on Windows 2000. Sometime this past spring I upgraded my laptop to 1.6.1 and created new sequences/overhauled my existing ones.

At startup this year, I noticed some strange things, (i.e. channels not turning off and other wierdness), and thought maybe it had something to do with running 1.6 sequences on a 1.5 machine. Turns out it was network noise, but before I determined that I had upgraded the show machine to 1.6.1.

For the second time now I have had a problem with lock ups. Tonight it happened with a number of people out front watching, and fortunately I was watching from an upstairs window and realized that it didn't start the next sequence. Went in and checked the PC, and it was locked up tight. By the time I got it rebooted, the steet was empty.:P

The machine is dedicated to the show, so nothing else is running on it.

Should I try 1.6.15, or will it even run on Windows 2000. I know I am in the dark ages, but I felt safe running on the machine I am (HP Pavilion, Pentium 3).

Any advice is appreciated.

One thought is to install 1.6.9 and run the show during the day and see if you are able to reproduce the issue. Does the problem occur if running from the sequence editor or just when scheduled?

On W2K, are you able to access Task Manager whent the PC locksup? Is your only choice to reboot the machine? You should be able to kill the process and restart the application. What service pack are you running on that machine? Has the machine been in use before this season?

Machine was locked tight. Mouse wouldn't even respond. Only option was to power down.

I think I have determined that the hard drive is failing. While trying to load some patches on the machine last night, it locked up once while booting up, and twice at exactly the same point while connecting to windows update. In all cases, the machine does not respond, and had to be powered down.

Setting up a different machine now to run the show. This one will be XP. I'll probably stick with 1.6.1 tho and not go to 1.6.15, but I will put the latest USB/RS485 drivers on.

Thanks for the response.

ranger_391xt wrote:

Machine was locked tight. Mouse wouldn't even respond. Only option was to power down.

I think I have determined that the hard drive is failing. While trying to load some patches on the machine last night, it locked up once while booting up, and twice at exactly the same point while connecting to windows update. In all cases, the machine does not respond, and had to be powered down.

Setting up a different machine now to run the show. This one will be XP. I'll probably stick with 1.6.1 tho and not go to 1.6.15, but I will put the latest USB/RS485 drivers on.

Thanks for the response.

If you continue to get lockups and you have upgraded to the latest version of the USB drivers then I recommend that you go to the 1.6.15.

Dan